Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4wd light blinking constantly.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd light blinking constantly.

I took it to the mechanic he said the vacuum solenoid was bad because it constantly got power from the actuator. He replaced it and disconnected the cable under the hood because if he didn't I'd be on 4x4 all the time. I changed the switch with a new piece and right now it still gets constant 4x4. What could cause this chaos??

Happy new years by the Way!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd light blinking

Originally Posted by Bolbol
I took it to the mechanic he said the vacuum solenoid was bad because it constantly got power from the actuator. He replaced it and disconnected the cable under the hood because if he didn't I'd be on 4x4 all the time. I changed the switch with a new piece and right now it still gets constant 4x4. What could cause this chaos??

Happy new years by the Way!

a few years ago I had an issue where the 4wd on my 95, it would just go on at anytime when driving. there are only a few items in the 4wd system, so you've already looked at the actuator right? so that leaves the button on the dash, the actuator motor under the truck (real expensive) and the circuit board on the kick panel on the passenger side. I took the box holding the board out of the bracket leaving all the wires disconnected with the truck running and when I moved the box holding the board the 4wd would go on and off by itself. there was a loose resistor in the board which would explain why it would go on and off 4wd when driving just from vibration. you could have a bad board in there. its real easy to find and take out. just a few screws etc. I can't say that is what it is but you might find one at a junk yard for a few bucks and if that solves the problem then your good. if your in the passenger seat its where your right foot would be.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:40 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Check this out for more information about the transfer case and switch.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-25087/

Old 01-03-2015, 06:25 AM
Starting Member

Do you know the actual name of the kick panels circuit board by any chance? I am trying to look up the part on rock auto for a brand new items price.
Thanks

Old 01-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bolbol
Do you know the actual name of the kick panels circuit board by any chance? I am trying to look up the part on rock auto for a brand new items price.
Thanks
no, but as far as i know the only thing that the board does is it works for the 4wd. take the thing out and get some numbers off it. I took my kick panel out last night and this is what I got off it: SERVICE NO. 16176557 don't know what that means but remember mine is a 1995, and taking the kick panel out is harder than replacing the board. the board is in a metal case surrounded by a black bracket. its bolted in the black bracket by a few small screws. the size of the box is 6 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide and I can't remember if the board comes with or without the box. good luck. and again that might not be it. could it be called a TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE?

Last edited by blazer47; 01-03-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

TCCM - Transfer Case Control Module is exactly what the box located behind the passenger side kick panel is called.

Bolbol, please try to always include your vehicle information in your posts so we don't have to look back through your other posts to see that you have a 2001.

From the sounds of it, you have the NV236 transfer case which has the 4-button switch in the dash and an electronic vacuum solenoid located on the firewall near the distributor that controls front axle engagement. If this is the case, have you tried switching the vacuum lines around on the solenoid. If the lines are reversed, vacuum will not vent from the actuator when the solenoid is de-energized. I posted a vacuum diagram in one or more of the 4wd related tech articles that shows the proper orientation of the lines on the solenoid.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:59 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
TCCM - Transfer Case Control Module is exactly what the box located behind the passenger side kick panel is called.

Bolbol, please try to always include your vehicle information in your posts so we don't have to look back through your other posts to see that you have a 2001.

From the sounds of it, you have the NV236 transfer case which has the 4-button switch in the dash and an electronic vacuum solenoid located on the firewall near the distributor that controls front axle engagement. If this is the case, have you tried switching the vacuum lines around on the solenoid. If the lines are reversed, vacuum will not vent from the actuator when the solenoid is de-energized. I posted a vacuum diagram in one or more of the 4wd related tech articles that shows the proper orientation of the lines on the solenoid.

My bad about not providing information about the year of the vehicle..

And do u really think the vacuum lines could be responsible because when the electrical line going from the dash to the vacuum actuator are disconnected, the 4wd disengages. Only when powers running is when 4wd is constantly on. Pressing 2wd, 4wd high or low doesn't matter, constant 4wd unless powers cut off.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:03 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Its free and yes it may work, give it a try

Old 01-09-2015, 02:35 AM
Starting Member

YES IT WORKED!
So Apparently the cable was getting jammed and now 4wd hi works...
4wd Low is still blinking constantly
After changing the vacuum actuator, vacuum line, and actuator buttons only the high 4wd works.

All i know about 4wd low is that it gives u more torque and I have no idea how it actually works so no clue on where to look for fixing.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

you have to be in neutral when you put it in 4l

Quick Reply: 4wd light blinking constantly.