Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4WD will NOT engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
thehoff is on a distinguished road
Default 4WD will NOT engage

Had to use the 4WD last night because of the snow that was dumped on us...first time since last winter. I own a 2002 with manual button on the dash (2HI, 4HI, 4LO). When I first attempted to put it into 4WD, I could hear it wanting to engage, but the lights only blinked on 4HI and went right back to 2HI. So, I tried again. After several tries, it finally kicked over to 4HI, stayed lit up on 4HI and away I went. This morning I had to use it again, so I pushed 4HI but the same thing happened...lights blinked from 2HI to 4HI and stayed in 2HI. So, I hit it again but this time I didn't hear anything nor did the lights change - it's as if 4WD no longer works for me period.

Any suggestions?? I have not tried 4LO yet, but I think it's safe to assume that it will do the same thing.

Thank You in adavance!!
steph

Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section. Specifically:
4x4 No Worky.... Maybe this will help....
AND
OBD2 Non-Automatic Transfer Case Diagnostics

Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out tonight and see what I come up with.

What seems odd to me though is I JUST had transfer case and driveshaft work done a couple of months ago - had my tranny rebuilt. Is it possible it could still be related to these?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 AM

Ok...Update.

Went to leave work yesterday and attempted one more time to engage the 4WD by pushing the 4HI button on the dash. I put the car into neutral and pushed...this time the 2HI light went off and both lights on the 4HI and 4LO buttons were blinking in unison. I then pushed the 2HI button again and the 2HI light went and stayed on...the other lights stopped blinking. When the 4HI and 4LO lights were blinking, there was no indication that the truck was even attempting to engage in 4WD.

I read up on all the info give to me in the last post, but being a little 'inexperienced' with cars, it's a bit complicated to understand. Gonna have a couple friends take a look at it. BUT - if anyone has any suggestions as to what it is, please let me know. It'd be a lot easier tackling this knowing the answer rather than taking shots in the dark.

Thanks!
steph

Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member
mike mtzr2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thehoff
Had to use the 4WD last night because of the snow that was dumped on us...first time since last winter. I own a 2002 with manual button on the dash (2HI, 4HI, 4LO). When I first attempted to put it into 4WD, I could hear it wanting to engage, but the lights only blinked on 4HI and went right back to 2HI. So, I tried again. After several tries, it finally kicked over to 4HI, stayed lit up on 4HI and away I went. This morning I had to use it again, so I pushed 4HI but the same thing happened...lights blinked from 2HI to 4HI and stayed in 2HI. So, I hit it again but this time I didn't hear anything nor did the lights change - it's as if 4WD no longer works for me period.

Any suggestions?? I have not tried 4LO yet, but I think it's safe to assume that it will do the same thing.

Thank You in adavance!!
steph
I had the same problem and after changing $150 worth of parts i checked the 3 line vacuum switch on top of the transfer case, tube wasn't fully on so i removed the vac/lines, switch and then i took door lock de/icer anti-freeze with lube spray (wear rubber gloves its hard on the hands) and spayed it into each of the three ports and worked the ball, press the ball in hold and spray to clear each port (watch your eyes) reinstall with fresh Teflon tape put the 3 line adapter back on i believe there is a line on the tube adapter that lines up with a line on the switch TAKE NOTE BEFORE You remove cause you want it somewhat in the same area . Hope this works for ya.