Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Solid Axle Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
89BlackBlazerCrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Solid Axle Ball Joints

I have a 1989 Blazer with a solid front axle. I just replaced the front tires, the old tires were severely worn on the outer edge of the both front tires. Therefore, I asked the local Chevy Dealer to do a front end alignment and to check the ball joints, because while installing a new 4” lift I was able to grab the front tires at the top and bottom and pull the bottom of the tire out away from the truck making me believe the lower ball joint was bad. However, the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the ball joints and that there should be some movement.
My question is – how much slack should there be in the ball joints of a solid front axle at the steering knuckles? Should I be able to move the tire in and out at the bottom of the tire when the truck is on jacks?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Solid Axle Ball Joints

Should not be any slack...

Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

If it moves with the force of your hand...imagine what its doing under load at 65 mph...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

Is it a Full Size Blazer..?

You need a flash light and you need to jack that thing up and pull while someone watches from under the nuckle... I bet your hub bearings are gone.

Just my .02

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 PM
89BlackBlazerCrazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I was pretty sure the dealer was out of his mind and now I am sure of it. They did not perform a front end alignment because the tech said he could not budge the adjusting sleave. They offered to replace both tie rod ends, the steering link, and both adjusting sleaves for $1,300! Of course I told them I would take care of it. So, after climbing under the truck I see pipe wrench marks on the adjusting sleave and just laid there in amazement. Can you imagine using a pipe wrench (designed to squeeze the jaws into the pipe) to turn a sleave with threads... the harder you squeeze the tighter the treads! Needless to say I have quickly determined that the dealer has a bunch of idiots working for it.

I can move the tire (with ease) if I jack up the front end and simply push on the bottom of the tire... I can see movement at the lower ball joint and it will move in and out changing the chamber of the tire to the positive. I was sure this was why the old tires were worn on the outside.

Thx for the inputs