Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member
95 S10 Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 not engaging

i have a 95 blazer and ive gotten stuck 3 times because my 4x4 dosent work. today me and my mechanic tried to pinpoint the problem. when i put it in 4lo i can hear the transfer case engage. the vac diafram looks to be working. and when its in 4wd the front driveshaft going from the tcase to the front diff is locked. but my front tired dont spin. so its something in the front end right? if anyone can help that would be fantastic.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

sounds like your front diff isn't working right if your driveshaft from it to the t-case is spinning.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Very common problem and covered in many other threads. If the actuator is not pulling the cable 1/2" to 3/4", it is not pulling it far enough. This is either due to a frozen cable or a problem with the vacuum system to the front actuator not supplying enough vacuum. If it is pulling the cable that far, then the problem lies deeper into the front axle engagement mechanism inside the passenger side extension tube.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member
bstocksblazer is on a distinguished road
Default More vac issues

So if your vac actuator isnt working but is in good shape, and you are not gettting vacuum to it ( crank engine, engage and feel no vacuum pull on hose), where is the next place to look? I have read that there is a vacuum aparatus above the transmission but that sounds like a pain to get to. Does anyone have any ideas for installing a manual engage cable? (sorta like an old choke cable mounted inside the cab somewhere)

There was no evidence of fluid in the vac hose and my tranfer case does engage the driveshaft to the front axle.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bstocksblazer
So if your vac actuator isnt working but is in good shape, and you are not gettting vacuum to it ( crank engine, engage and feel no vacuum pull on hose), where is the next place to look? I have read that there is a vacuum aparatus above the transmission but that sounds like a pain to get to. Does anyone have any ideas for installing a manual engage cable? (sorta like an old choke cable mounted inside the cab somewhere)

There was no evidence of fluid in the vac hose and my tranfer case does engage the driveshaft to the front axle.
there is a way to make a manual cable. its in the how to section, i'll see if i can find it.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member
bstocksblazer is on a distinguished road

you released the hounds spectre and I found it. There is a how-to here: https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ight=posi+lock

its a great write up. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

yup. no problem