Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
perryak is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 not working

Hi guys, noob here. I could really use some help. I recently picked up a '96 Jimmy project vehicle. The 4wd was not working and it had been in a fender bender.

First thing I looked at was the 4wd. The push button on the dash was all broken apart, buttons pushed in and everything. So i replaced that right away, and it started working. At least I assume it was working because i could hear the transfer case shifting between 2 hi, 4hi and 4low very clearly.

Next i tackled the body damage. I replaced the radiator mount, driver side fender, grill and bumper. Well, i got everything back together, and now the 4wd does not work again. I did the obvious and checked the fuses, all fine.

The only thing I can think of is maybe i did not hook something up correctly when i put it all back together. Well, at the end of the whole project there are 2 things that are not connected to anything and I don't know if they have something to do with it or not. First, in the engine compartment driver side on top of the wheel well, there are a bunch of wire harnesses and there is a single red wire with a clip that is not connected to anything currently. I have no idea what it is for or where it goes (if anywhere). Second, just behind that wire there is a few vacuum lines connected by a "T" fitting. The hose coming off that "T" that points toward the driver side fender is not connected to anything. I think it might have something to do with cruise control but not sure, and i can't find a place nearby that looks like it should be attached. Either way, as it sits its a vacuum leak.

Could either of those things have anything to do with it? My only other idea is the radiator mount that I replaced has 2 different ground wires on it. If either of those are ground for the 4wd system i can double check to make sure they are grounded well.

Sorry for the long thread, just trying to be as specific as possible. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
perryak is on a distinguished road

Bump. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram of the 4x4 system (besides buying a manual).

Old 02-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search is your friend! The Tech Article (DIY) section has a lot of good information in it!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
layz680 is on a distinguished road

the only help i can be is the red wire you speak of is a fuel pump positive test wire(can run your fuel pump with the key off) and the vacuum line might go to the vacuum ball in the fender.