Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 outer tie rod question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 AM
ElCaminoManT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 outer tie rod question

1998 GMC Jiimmy 4dr 4wd build date 12/17/1997. trying to buy outer tie rod ends, whats the deal with the offset and straight tie rod ends? im not sure what im supposed to be looking at to determine if they are straight or offset

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 outer tie rod question

I could not find any good pictures of the two tie rod variations to be able to make any determination of how to tell the difference. Offset in the description would lead me to believe that there would be a difference in the location of the ball joint in reference to the main body of the tie rod end.

Many parts stores will order either design for you to compare. They may even have them in stock. This is something that you should be able to see by turning your wheels all the way to one side and looking at the tie rod end as installed on your truck. If you can visually compare them, that would be the easiest way to determine which one you need.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM
ElCaminoManT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 outer tie rod question

thanks kyle, ive got the straight ones as far as i can tell, but i was hopin someone would have a pic of some sort so i could see what the offset ones look like. every place i call says they have the straightones but would have to order the offset one. the price difference is crazy.

wondering what brand to go with, moog or power performance?? every joint on the front end will be getting replaced in a couple weeks along with installing a rough country 2in lift kit with shocks. also replacing the lower control arm bushings