Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 Shift Solenoid/Motor Alignment Problem (transfer case)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
PsychoGMRS is on a distinguished road

Hello Blazers,

I have a 2002 Blazer. VIN *GNDT13W8**160835 (3 BUTTON. 2hi 4hi 4lo)

TLDR: any tricks to align 4x4 shift solenoid/motor into transfer case?

ALIGNMENT ISSUE: I can't get the solenoid/motor onto the drive shaft going into the TRANSFER CASE. I hooked the new solenoid/motor up to the wire connector and shifted it to the right position but found that I needed another couple of degrees (10ish) to align the male drive shaft coming out of the transfer case. I made sure the "plug" on the inside of the shift solenoid/motor was aligned. I tried both 2HI and 4LO positions with the same problem. I either need to get the motor to rotate more or find a way to get the drive shaft to rotate more. I don't want to manually move the solenoid/motor, and can't think of any way to get the drive shaft on the transfer case to give more than when it clunks into place. I did a few searches and didn't see anything here.

LONG STORY: Friend shift into 4HI while driving. Got stuck there. Left it for 2 year. (dumb I know) Got a new 3 button for my dash. (didn't work). Took off solenoid/motor. Hooked it up to get motor in right position. Same problem. Replaced module under passenger kick panel. Tried to switch. Didn't work. Replaced 4x4 shift actuator below battery. Tried to switch. Worked. Dance around with sifting motor and manually turning transfer case shaft. In either position the junction is "impossible" to align. After my friend and I ****ed around with it for about 2 hours and a 24 pack of New Castle I called it a night.

Any ideas?

I'm wondering if I shouldn't call the dealership (where I ordered the solenoid/motor) and tell them their solenoid/motor isn't aligned...

Last edited by Thogert; 07-01-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Combining consecutive posts
Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You should be able to turn the transfer case shaft with a bit of muscle. A few guys on here have converted theirs to manual shift with a custom shift lever.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM

I can manually move it but not far enough. To get the shift solenoid/motor into place I'd have to rotate it about the blue dot shown below. I'm constricted by the area shown in red. If there was some way to adjust where the solenoid/motor stops, perhaps I could make it stop early....

GREEN = Shift solenoid/motor
YELLOW = Transfer case
NOTE: my Blazer has a slip yoke on the FWD drive shaft.

Attached Thumbnails 4x4 Shift Solenoid/Motor Alignment Problem (transfer case)-shiftsolenoid.png  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
You should be able to turn the transfer case shaft with a bit of muscle. A few guys on here have converted theirs to manual shift with a custom shift lever.
I can manually move it into two positions (what I believe to be 2HI and 4LO). It clearly clunks into both positions. Neither positions line up with the two positions I can move my solenoid/motor (which is it?) into. Both are just a little off to where I don't have the room to align.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM

I'm headed down to the dealership to see if they can diagnose my shift motor. I'll probably end up ordering a new one. Can I manually shift in 2wd for now, leave the shift motor off, and roll around town like that?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

That should work.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Starting Member
Jason Hancock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PsychoGMRS
I can manually move it into two positions (what I believe to be 2HI and 4LO). It clearly clunks into both positions. Neither positions line up with the two positions I can move my solenoid/motor (which is it?) into. Both are just a little off to where I don't have the room to align.
I am having the exact same issues... Except I inherited this issue. I bought this vehicle with a blown transmission and have been working to get it on the road. Having same issues with the transfer case actuator motor alignment. Cannot seem to get it to line up no matter what I move in any position...

What was the the adventure with the dealer?

Old 04-10-2019, 01:43 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Might not get an answer. Been 9 years since this post has been touched...

Old 04-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Starting Member
Jason Hancock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
Might not get an answer. Been 9 years since this post has been touched...
Yeah... I noticed the year this thread was posted after I sent my reply... Wishful thinking.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

So, I know it's an old thread, but maybe I can help with the new question.

On the np233 cases, the detents are from a spring mounted plunger attached to the bottom of the case. That is what gives you the three define positions. If you can't get the encoder motor to line up with the shift shaft in any of the three positions, maybe temporarily removing the detent plunger would help.

It is a fairly large "plug" mounted to the under side of the tcase. When you remove it, it'll have a long spring, with a ball on the end, iicr. Be aware, doing this will drain all the atf from the case. You will need to drain it beforehand from the drain plug, but a little might still come out from the detent. Make sure to refill the case with new atf when you're done. I believe the capacity is 1.25 quarts.