Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 Vacuum System Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member
bigjohn1139 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 Vacuum System Conversion

Through troubleshooting I have determined that boththe vacuum actuator and the switch in the transfer has failed. I intend on converting this to a cable system because of the unreliability of the vacuum system. I have read on some threads that there are homemade DIY fixes for cable conversion. I have searched the posts here for days and I cannot find where this was achieved. I know there are Posi-Lok kits that you can purchase but I am interested on using ingenuity as well as help from others for this conversion. It looks to me that the original differential cable is long enoughto reach into the cab if disconnected from the actuator . Has anyone used this cable and designed a handle with a locking mechanism to use for this application?
Please direct me tothe posts or any advice would me most helpful. If not, when I get it figured out I will post my results.

Thanks,

Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 Vacuum System Conversion

If it were me and I was trying to do it, I would remove the vacuum actuator and fab it up from there. Get some heavy gauge throttle cable with a locking head (should be available at a tractor supply store) and fab up the bracket to mate the two parts together. This way you would have minimal work inside the truck, just mount what comes with the locking cable.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member
bigjohn1139 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 Vacuum System Conversion

UPDATE: I was at the junkyard yesterday and the guy gave me a vacuum actuator so I installed it. Ok, I guess I have changed my mind on the conversion for now.After installing it I figured I would check the vacuum switch in the T-case to see if I could see something obvious.And to whatdid my wondering eyes appear,the three hose plug in the wrong orientation. The alignment "tit" (for lack of a better term (sorry ladies)) was not aligned so that may solve the no vacuum at the actuator problem I was having. Dont you just love working after someone and finding these types of issues? [:@] This has been one of many. Anyway I have not been able to test because I have the whole front clip disassmbled to replace the core support. I will let you know if that worked.