Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

5" Trailmaster...hopefully soon to come...

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5" Trailmaster...hopefully soon to come...

So I guess my question is...how difficult is it to instal the 5" TM kit? Or, would it be worth paying a shop (we have a good, honest one nearby) to do it.

Here's what it'll be going on...my '96 with a 2" body lift, 192k miles, standard tranny...oh yes:

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I did the 6in superlift on mine and it wasnt too bad. rear the instructions and you decide if you can handle it. For mine i had to do some minor cutting and welding. So if you can cut and weld a few things along with having basic knowledge along with some basic tools. You can do it. It will be nice if you have air tools but its not a must. I would set aside a good week or so to complete the install but it depends how much time you have everyday and if someone helps you. It took me around 10 days but that was doing it by myself and only a few hours a night after work.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

At the risk of committing 'thread-necromancy', I'm dragging this back up from the dead. After a couple days of research, I've decided that the 5" kit has too many issues, and it will be worth the extra $500 to get the 6" kit...even though I really don't need that much. I'm going to be selling a big(ish) ticket item on ebay, and trying to work out a cash and trade deal with a mechanic to sell him my boat for really cheap, plus his help installing the lift.

If this all goes down like I hope it will, I'll keep ya'll updated. I'm about to start fab'ing up a full replacement prerunner bumper and guard...hopefully this week. At some point, after the lift, I'll be gunning for a set of fiberglass bja fenders.