Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

89/Full Size Help Removing Fron Axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Mr. ButtA is on a distinguished road
Default 89/Full Size Help Removing Fron Axle

I've got manual locking hubs. After I remove the hub assembly, brake caliper, rotter I've encountered my dilemma ( also removed front tie-rod end control arm). The spindle appears to be part of the steering knuckle as if it's rusted, welded or even manufactured that way. I'm trying to replace my ball joints but I can't get to them until I remove the axle because the axle's u-joint lives right inside the steering knuckle and that leaves no room for access to the ball joints on the top & bottom of the steering knuckle. I hope someone out there will understand that jargon I just laid out...Please Help!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
IrvJr is on a distinguished road

The spindle is part of the axle. I take it you got the spindle nut off if you got the rotor off. Now you need to pull the front diff cover and remove the c clips to pull the axle shafts out. First remove the retaining bolt that holds the center pin. After pulling thatb nut out, tap that center pin out about an inch towards the inside of the axle housing and then flip it around and pull it out. Then you can push the axle shafts in a bit and remove the c clips from inside the carrier housing. After that they just slide out. Be carefull putting them back so you dont knock the seals into the carrier housing since they mount from the inside of the shaft not the outside like the rear ones.

Last edited by IrvJr; 01-16-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Mighty Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by IrvJr
The spindle is part of the axle. I take it you got the spindle nut off if you got the rotor off. Now you need to pull the front diff cover and remove the c clips to pull the axle shafts out. First remove the retaining bolt that holds the center pin. After pulling thatb nut out, tap that center pin out about an inch towards the inside of the axle housing and then flip it around and pull it out. Then you can push the axle shafts in a bit and remove the c clips from inside the carrier housing. After that they just slide out. Be carefull putting them back so you dont knock the seals into the carrier housing since they mount from the inside of the shaft not the outside like the rear ones.
It's a front axle, there are no c clips.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Mighty Mouse is on a distinguished road

Any way that you can get a picture? I understand what you are trying to do but once you get the rotor off you should have the hub assembly off. After that you have to remove the nuts holding on the spindle. You might have to tap on the spindle with a rubber hammer or pry it off to get it freed up. Once all that is out of the way just grab the axle shaft and give it a tug to pull it out. Here is a link with a few pics to show you. Step 1 and 2 should be what you are looking at.

http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/Pro...4/Default.aspx

Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 AM
IrvJr is on a distinguished road

Haha, yes you are right. I just did my rear seals and must have still had that procedure in my head.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
BigBlockBlazer is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the spindle is seized to the knuckle. Take a hammer and sharp chisel and go around the edge of the spindle where it meets the knuckle. Most spindles have a grove cut into them from the factory to start the removal process. Before reassembly clean and lube the spindle backing area with anti-seize.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BigBlockBlazer
It sounds like the spindle is seized to the knuckle. Take a hammer and sharp chisel and go around the edge of the spindle where it meets the knuckle. Most spindles have a grove cut into them from the factory to start the removal process. Before reassembly clean and lube the spindle backing area with anti-seize.
yeah those thing never come off easily . i did a side job doing a axle shaft on a 90 suburban plow truck. i had to beat that thing off with a sledge hammer. naturally i destroyed it but had extras around. a air chisel works wonders too getting those things off. heres a few pics to show that yeah it comes off.

i got lucky with that one and just smashed it a few times with a rubber hammer and it came off and you think thats bad wait til the ball joints pull the same crap

Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Mr. ButtA is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Fellas

Hey there Gent's, I just wanted to thank you all for all of the insights. I haven't had a chance to re-approach the job but when I do at least I will have some other avenues to follow. So thanks again for posting to my thread; you guys are the $#!t! I I will most certainly post what was successful for me & what wasn't here in the near future so that others can benefit off of the information (And i will also post some pictures too).