Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

96 4x4 front end issue...New poster

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member
bobbye is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 96 4x4 front end issue...New poster

I'm fairly new to the forum, made a couple posts, but just gather all the info by doing a search first, so many times I haven't had to post. I did a search on this and found a ton of info, but I still can't figure out what I did wrong. Here goes:
Replaced the LH (drivers side) lower control arm and shock. (was going to do both sides, but it got too late to do the RH) .Removed tension from the torsion bar with a 2 jaw puller, removed all the nuts/bolts/hardware associated with the LCA and took the entire assembly off and put the new one in. Everything seemed to go relatively well. upon putting the vehicle back on the ground the LH side sits WAY too low. Tried adjusting the torsion bar bolt, but it's bottomed all the way in and it still sits too low. The one thing I did not do was remove the bar from the adjuster link (its rusted in there pretty good) we just let it hang and removed the LCA end and replaced it. Could this be where we went wrong? Should it be completely removed from the mount and the LCA. I'm planning on doing the RH side tonight so any input would be helpful.
Thanks, Bob

Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you make sure to put the torsion bar back in the same orientation as it was in the other arm? You may have to remove the LCA again and rotate the torsion bar one flat further.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Beginning Member

Thats what I was thinking was the case, however I was HOPING that it wasn't. I THOUGHT we had it in the same orientation, but then again at 1 a.m. we probably missed it by a flat or 2. Thanks. I guess I have my work cut out for me this week. Why does this stuff always happen when its cold? Couldn't happen when it's nice and sunny/warm.

Last edited by bobbye; 03-28-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member

Tried today to "move" the torsion bar to no avail. It's rusted/stuck. Its been soaking in PB Blaster for the last 2 days and it wont budge. Is there a trick or something to getting these out? I'm at my wits end! I can't get in there straight with anything to whack on it 'cause the gas tank is in the way. I've never had as much trouble as I have with this vehicle! At this point I'm ready to scrap the damn truck-I dont think its worth it anymore, especially when I still have to do the other side too. Please help!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member

UPDATE:
I walked away from it and cooled down(I was getting pi%%ed off). I went back out side and with a little persuasion, managed to get it out of the adjuster arm. Evverything came out with about 200 blows from a hammer and punch. I did have to lower the crossmember that holds it all to get a better shot with the punch, but it worked. Now if it will all go back together nicely, I'll have it made. (although I'm still thinking it isnt worth it... LOL)
Actually, now I'm actually looking forward to doing the other side.

Last edited by bobbye; 04-03-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

glad to hear it is working out for you after all...those torsion bars are a real p.i.t.a.

mark the orientation on second one ...just kidding
should toss some anti-seize on it while its out...never know.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

Yep. I put anti-sieze on the LCA, adjuster link and both ends of the bar. I got down to having to put in cotter pins and the end links when I dropped the spacer for the links. Couldn't find it, so I figured I'd call it a night. LOL. Been one hell of a day.