Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

98 bravada needs a new rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Question 98 bravada needs a new rear end

So i just added another one to my collection, a 1998 bravada black with a gold pinstripe I got it with a bad 3.73 rear end, now i have a complete 3.73 rear end from my 97 bravada im curious can i just take the ring and pinion from my doner rear end and throw it in the 98 reusing everything like the crush washers shims etc etc or reuse the ones currently in the new truck, if not what do i need, im trying to avoid having to mess with pinion angles, i would just use the whole donor rear end but all of the brackets are cut off it already and smoothed for use in a 4 link setup on the 97, if someone can let me know the bottom line on what to do here would be great thanks ahead of time guys

Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I would weld the brackets back in before trying to set up the gears any day of the week.

Take the complete 97 rear (after welding the bracket back on) and throw it under (with fresh seals/bearings/oil/gasket/cover) the 98.

Pinion angles shouldn't matter if you're replacing the old rear with the same one from a one year older truck.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
I would weld the brackets back in before trying to set up the gears any day of the week.

Take the complete 97 rear (after welding the bracket back on) and throw it under (with fresh seals/bearings/oil/gasket/cover) the 98.

Pinion angles shouldn't matter if you're replacing the old rear with the same one from a one year older truck.
I know if im not messing around inside of the rear end no worries on any change to the pinion angle, i have a gas mig if welding the brackets back on was just that easy wish i wouldnt of done that, but there was no way of knowing i would run into such a great deal on a truck that needs a rear, at the time the brackets had to go for a 4link but i wish i would of used a rear that wasnt perfectly good for it because im gonna change the ratio down the line on the 97 anyway so trust me it sucks but im looking for the next best way to do this because changing the whole rear is a no go i can use anything i need from it just not the shell

Last edited by LowLife; 07-27-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you want to keep the costs down since you got a deal on the 98 and not sure where in PA you are but:

!! rear-end 373 gears 4x4,,2000 S10 Blazer
1998 bravada parts
1998-04 Blazer Parts

Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Starting Member

[quote=TripleBlackBlazer;448964]It sounds like you want to keep the costs down since you got a deal on the 98 and not sure where in PA you are but:

Exactly, i picked this one up for dirt cheap and am still on the fence about keeping it or not so i dont wanna go dumpin money into places that it need not be until i run it for about a month and see how things go if it seems like a money pit i will simply turn around and double my money, im from pittsburgh by the way im gonna go ahead and look into those links you posted now and see where that goes if nothing else

Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Starting Member

Well i guess for the first time in god 5-6 yrs im just gonna have to except that i dont have the tools or know how to change the ring and pinion by myself, Guess im gonna be callin around to see if its cheaper to just buy a 3.73 without the brackets chopped off and swap complete rear ends, or maybe i can find a shop locally that can swap out the old gears for the other gears that i have....... i just hate not doing my own work its the only way you really know its done right.....well that and if its done wrong theres no one to blame but yourself i prefer it that way but i just dont have pressed for installing new carrier bearings and the gauges to see how thick of a shim to use etc etc...if anyone out there has a idea i havent came up with please post it

Old 07-28-2011, 07:04 AM
BF Veteran

The shims aren't really a big deal, just pull the shims from the donor carrier and put them in the new one. The big deal is setting up the pinion depth and then setting up the backlash and preload and all that nonsense. If you're still looking to have someone do it for you, try your local speed or race shops (the old school ones not the tuner import ones). When I shopped around it was cheaper to buy the whole assembled rear than it was to buy the gears and pay to have someone install them. You already have the gears so it would be less for you.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Drifter is on a distinguished road

‪Differential Ring and Pinion Gear Setup‬‏ - YouTube

This should help you see what all has to be done, when swapping gears. I would look at junk yards and see if you can find a whole rear end. The parts are going to COST when getting new, probably more then what you paid for the truck. Welding the brackets would be the cheapest easier way if you can't find a whole rear end.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Starting Member

thanks for the video, i tried finding 1 on our rear ends but never did, i ended up finding a low mile rear end for 400 bucks locally from a friend of mine so im just gonna take that route. I work on cars everyday and can honestly say in the 6 or so years i have been wrenchin i have never changed ring & pinion gears whole rears countless times i guess im just gonna keep it that way for now, until i have a little time to mess around with a spare rearend that if never goes back together isnt a big deal. ill let u all know when i put it on the road here probly 3 daysor so till i get around to it.