Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

98 jimmy 4x4 not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:00 PM
hantayo13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 jimmy 4x4 not working

wife got me a 98 jimmy it was stuck in 4hi ...after playing with it it shifted fine for a week ...then it only gave me 2hi and 4 lo so off to shop ..changed the elec shift motor on tran..$260..it shifted thru all once then quit...now only have 2hi...when shifted it only blinks the goes back to 2hi ...it clicks in right kick panel but no shift at tranfer

any ideas the mechs asnd i spent three hours trying to find something ...nothing ...eeeerrrr.....thinking bout a pound of black powder anda foot ofprimercord ought to fix it

Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Default RE: 98 jimmy 4x4 not working

anyone got any ideas where/what i can look at and see if i can fix it myself before i take it back to shopp and get charged shop rates for mech to stuble on the prob

Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Maybe this will help.
https://blazerforum.com/m_56175/tm.htm

Old 12-28-2007, 06:12 PM

WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP ALL THIS MONEY AND TIME AND STILL IT DONT F***ING WORK AND NOW I FIND WHY MY ABS LITE IS ON WIRE IS BROKE RIGHT AT BEARING SO NOW I NEED TO REPLACE A NEW GM SUCKS

Old 12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Not quite...

It's called "maintenance".

You just bought a 9 year old truck.... There's bound to be a few issues.

There's a lot of threads floating around about how to fix the 4x4 problems.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:07 AM

yes i have read all that i can find and am looking at replacing a new wheel bearing cause it has a broken ABS wire and from what i have read and heard from several mechs i have to replace a $800 computer that needs the whole dash torn apart to get to IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP

Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Ummm... Which computer do they need to tear the dash apart to change?

The TCCM is under the passenger side kick panel, if I remember right...

And for a wheel bearing change they do NOT have to change any computer parts.

Did you take a look and see just how much wire is sticking out? You might be able to splice it back together...

Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With that kind of attitude its no wonder you are being taken advantage of by any shop you take it to... Also makes us really want to jump right in and help you...

Did the shop give you any indication of what the '$800 computer component' is?... If they cannot describe things properly, walk away and find some place else to do the work you yourself can not do. But with a bit more patience and some common hand tools and you should be able to fix things yourself.

BTW, the TIMKEN front hub with ABS sensor should cost you around $120 delivered. A new encoder motor (depending on your 4wd system - assuming 3 button) should be between $110 & $150... The encoder motor is not too difficult to replace, but the wheel bearing/hub does require some more specialized tools (possibly a puller and definitely a large socket for removing the axle nut). But both can be accomplished in your driveway.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran

As far as I know, there's no computer anything that you have to take the dash apart for... Maybe a few relays and such... BCM (Body Control Module) and TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) are both behind the passenger side kick panel... the ECM and PCM are under the hood, are they not? The same goes for the ABS computer...

Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, well other than that the PCM==ECM==VCM.

Quick Reply: 98 jimmy 4x4 not working