Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

98 jimmy 4x4 not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: 98 jimmy 4x4 not working

Ahhhh, I see says the blind man...

Either way, hantayo, you need to find a different mechanic...

And even if your TCCM is bad, it's not an $800 fix... Run through the trouble code diagnostics for the 4x4 system, and it'll help in diagnosing the problem, and save buttloads of money...

Even if you get a shop to do the work, it saves a lot of time/money if you tell them exactly what you want done.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM
hantayo13 is an unknown quantity at this point

alll i know is they have replaced to motor that shifts transfer to tune of $260 not counting labor now they say it needs the computer in kickpanel....for crying out loud this thing is only 9 years old ihave a 76 and a 81 dodge either that will fire right up and run without any of this crap happening and i not paying out the butt to fix them same goes with our bikes and yes i am a good mech myself...the abs wire is too short to splice....thankfully the shop isnt chargeing for all the time they have invested in this

Old 12-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you owned the truck since new? If not, you have absolutely no idea what happened to the truck before you purchased it. 9 years or 2 years really doesn't matter one bit if the previous owner treated it like garbage.

And I would hardly blame the vehicle for incompetent mechanics that are taking the shotgun approach to repairing your vehicle. Sooner or later they'll fix the problem, sure. But they'll bleed your wallet dry in the process. $260 for an encoder motor is VERY high unless they used a genuine AC Delco unit which I doubt. And if that didn't fix the problem, they should not have charged you ANY labor. That is simple courtesy. Again, sounds like they are just replacing components on a whim.

There are TONS of threads on 4wd problems with these vehicles and many that detail the proper diagnostic procedures. If you have the common 3 button (non Auto4wd) optioned 4wd system, then you can check the codes that are present yourself with a paper clip (see the DIY section). Other areas to check would be the switch itself (cheap) and that it's electrical connection is secure. Another place to check is the TCCM electrical connection for corrosion. This is another source of potential problems.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:48 PM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Relax.. Do what drperry & swartlkk have mentioned to you.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 PM

happy new year ok the mech and i think it is the control panel under kick panel ...going to getr new one and reinstall old motor on tranfercase see if that works ...have 4x4 working manually for now the motor not on so i turn it to what i want by crawling under and moving it into what i need at time

keep on roddin'

Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude. That sux you gotta crawl under the truck to switch it.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM

well it better than not being able to switch it ...it is winter and snowing here...if i had a machince shop ,i would just fab a shifter to come up thru floor

Old 01-01-2008, 07:29 PM
agibson94 is an unknown quantity at this point

if im not mistaken the sensor for the abs can be bent in or out from the bearings mabey something bent it out that would make the abs light to kick on and from the sound of the shop you take it to they might have bent it out just to charge you an arm and a leg to fix it...hope that helps if not im sure somebodyon hereknows how to help you

Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 AM

no the shop didnt mess up the abs ....it was on before i took it in and they really are good guys...havent charged me any labor to date ,because truck not fixed

Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM

well another three hours in shop ....new TCCM and encoder motor still dont shift been thru the codes ...put old encoder on it shifts fron 4hi to 4lo and back but no 2hi...so off with new TCCM and both encoder motors ...new stuff going back...old encoder in piece and off to machine shop tomorrow to fab a manual shifter....GMC is pile of crap...sorry guys but i am really hating this junkwagon i can not afford to keep GMC in biz

Quick Reply: 98 jimmy 4x4 not working