Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ABS Activating

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
charliemopic is on a distinguished road
Default ABS Activating

1999 Jimmy 4dr, 4x4, 89K miles.
Last month the ABS light started to come on intermittenly. Then, braking normaly for a stop sign the pedal feels like the ABS is activating! The pedal goes down some and I get that ultra fast pulsating feeling thru the pedal. All I have to do is let off the brake and reapply to get it back to normal.
Yesterday, pulling into my gravel driveway it happened and instead of letting off the brake I pushed harder on the brake and only the left front wheel locked up.
It does this once in awhile to different degrees, sometimes worse than others. Again, when it does it all I have to do left off the pedal and reapply and its fine until the next time it does it.

Any ideas?
I know I will have to take it in to be repaired but I would like an idea on what the problem is.

As far as ABS, I would rather just have it disconnected. Its just another thing to go wrong.
Can that be done?
This Jimmy is all bright white with graphite leather interior, sun roof, auto 4x4, 4x4, loaded. Appearance is like new, even the stock aluminum wheels are LN. I would like to keep it but seems like its one thing after another.

Thanks Much and thank goodness for Blazer forum.com

charliemopic

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would just fix it.

Check out this link:
Brakes - Low Speed (below 5 MPH) ABS Activation

Old 05-09-2010, 03:10 PM
98_Blazer is on a distinguished road

I had this same thing happen to me. I took the fuse out for the ABS and it hasnt done it since and brakes work find. i did this about 2months ago. The only thing is that the abs light stays on while driving. No biggy Hope this helps and saves you money. I knew acouple people that did what i did.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM

98 Blazer, Thank you a whole lot. Thats is what I was looking for but I didn't get the info soon enuff.
The Chevy dealer told me it needed a sensor that cost $99 plus $241 to install it.
I did ask them if the ABS could be deactivated and they said no.
F'ingBS.
Sure wish I would checked my responses sooner.

Thanks Alot Anyway.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pulling that fuse will also disable your cruise control... If that isn't a used feature of your truck, then no big worry, but if you use it...

Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Fix it man. It's just machinery.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM

I got it fixed at a Chevy dealer.
It needed an ABS sensor - $99.36 + $6.96 tax
plus $224 labor. =$331.07 Total.

Thanks alot. I appreciate all the info.
charliemopic

Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 AM
98_Blazer is on a distinguished road

What ABS sensor was it?

Do you know where it was located?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Most likely a WSS (wheel speed sensor) that didn't really need replacing, just cleaning and closing up of the air gap as suggested in the TSB I posted above.