Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ABS light and braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member
Slayer23 is on a distinguished road
Default ABS light and braking

I have 2001 4 door Blazer lt I bought about a month ago and a few days ago the abs light came on when I started the truck. I drove it and as I was coming to a slow stop the brake pedal pushed back at me and I heard a creaking type sound coming from the drivers side front. Then the pedal released and the brakes worked as they should. Also the Abs light went back off. Now almost every time I drive the same thing happens. I've been told it may be a bad/dirty wheel speed sensor. Does this sound like it may be the issue or is there something else I should be looking at as the culprit?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Brakes - Low Speed (below 5 MPH) ABS Activation

Getting the ABS system scanned to retrieve the trouble code will tell you which one it is.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Slayer23
. I've been told it may be a bad/dirty wheel speed sensor. Does this sound like it may be the issue or is there something else I should be looking at as the culprit?
Originally Posted by swartlkk
Brakes - Low Speed (below 5 MPH) ABS Activation

Getting the ABS system scanned to retrieve the trouble code will tell you which one it is.
yeah first things first get a scanner see which side it is. second of all gm has a big problem with rust getting into the area where the sensor bolts to the wheel bearing which causes the sensor to actually lift away a bit and give you bad readings and slow speeds. replacing the wheel bearing will fix the problem but theres usually a cheaper way to fix it. unbolt the sensor wire from the bearing then grind down all the rust off the mounting surface. but be careful not to grind off to much as the sensor will hit the gear inside and tear it up.

sometimes though that sensor will be stuck in there and will break too. id say about half the time they break off in there. a rust ring builds up and you just cant get it out without snapping it

Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Beginning Member

Going to get a scanner now. If it does turn out to be the speed sensor and I have trouble, would the hub from my 2000 lt be the same? It was only a couple of months old when the truck got totaled. I kept it for a parts truck because everything seems to be interchangable and it had many new parts.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Check autozone.com and look up both parts. See if the numbers match

Old 07-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

How long should the dealership honor the warranty? My dealership around here are pr**ks with older vehicles.

-OSS

Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

I ran the scanner and got codes Co222, 223, 225, and 226. I took out and cleaned both sensors and mating surfaces. I spun the hubs and looked for missing or chipped teeth. Then I inspected all the wiring and cleaned all connectors. I cleared all the codes and took it for a spin. At first everything seemed fine then all of a sudden as I was coming to a stop about a 1/4 mile down the road, the pedal went extremely stiff and didn't want to push hardly at all and I had little braking. The pedal let loose and I skidded for a few feet before it went back to normal. Got home ran the scanner again and got the same codes. What now?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:19 PM
bob-inky is on a distinguished road

@ Slayer23 I have the same problem with my 2000 4 wheel drive Blazer, low speed ABS activation, got so annoying that I pulled the fuse that controls it, how ever the abs light stays on but no hard pedal and no not wondering if I am going to stop at the light if I really need to.

I did this only until I can find the right fix for it and the time to fix it. The truck still stops fine matter of fact it stops better without the abs system working.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member

I also unplugged the fuse. Brakes work fine w/out the antilock. I have a noisy hub so I'm going to replace both anyway. should fix my sensor problem.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

lol i disconnected mine too im going to get the codes read then imma change what sensor it needs