Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

adjusting setscrew on steering box...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
stevelknievel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default adjusting setscrew on steering box...

my steering isa little loose and i know theres a setscrew on the steering box (which im assuming is what is wrong because i just threw new tie rods and such under it)
can anyone tell me where it is?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: adjusting setscrew on steering box...

Steering Gear

Just be careful. It is easy to over adjust and possibly mess up the steering gear.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 AM
George is an unknown quantity at this point

I would hesitate to adjust it,as previously said.
If it has not been fooled with before,or come loose,they usually don't require adjustment.
To do it right, it has to be removed and the oil drained completly,turned todead center, then the worm shaftpreload checkedwith an inch pound torque wrench and adjusted to specks.
It is not a trial and error adjustment.
they will have play at both left and right turn positionsby design, but not at straight ahead position.
If it has a lot of play straight ahead, it needs to be repaired/adj./rebuilt as something is amiss.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 AM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point

my steering was alittle loose, just tightened it up a little drove it. and readjusted. havnt had a problem took five minutes of my time to do. the only issue was getting used to the tighter steering after having a lot of play.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Starting Member
stevelknievel is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys

Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 AM
KaptainKen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys;

I have the same problem at poster stevelknievel... loose steering.

I tried tightening the set screw in the steering box (as suggested) on my (2 wheel drive) '89 Blazer but, alas, no improvement. I fact I just drove it around the block and now it won't "self center" after a turn ... I dont know if "self center" is the right term: the tendency for a car to straighten out if you let go of the steering wheel after a turn is called .... what? Anyway, I don't have it now.

I'll loosten up the set screw a bit right away.

In any case, this set screw adjustment "fix" didn't do the trick ... I still have about 3 or 4 inches of play (as measured on the rim of the steering wheel) before the steering engages and turns the front wheels.

Can anyone suggest what my next step should be? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Ken

Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Adjusting the set screw on the steering box should be a LAST resort attempt to fix a loose steering situation, just prior to replacing the steering gear itself.

Other sources of play would be in the pitman arm to gear box spline, pitman arm to linkage joint, worn out idler arm, and/or either of the inner and outer tie rod ends being worn.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I too had some play and adjusted the gear box, and it helped quite a bit. I replaced the tie rods, and my idler and pitman weren't too bad. I would also suspect the steering shaft, as the rag joint can wear out.