Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Alignment problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road
Default Alignment problems

First off working on my 1998 4dr 4wd, RC 2.5" lift kit, steering stabilizer, add a leaf in rear, Camaro wheels with 31x10.5 15 tires.
I just replaced the lower ball joints, Idler and pitman arm and 4 new tires due to parts being worm out and steering wandering, along with a left side steering pull
I get all the parts installed and put it on the alignment rack and I can get all my specs to go within tolerances EXCEPT the caster Doesn't matter how far I turn the bolts or which way I make the cams point I cannot get the caster to come in spec, I didn't align this up the first go around which is why I had to install 4 new tires, I understand that you turn 1 bolt away from you and the other toward you to set caster but no matter how much I turn them I cannot get it to change, do I need to modify the cam bolts??? slot the frame?? any help would be sweet it steers like crap right now and pulls to the left so hard you have to fight to keep it between the lines.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member
99BlazinBlack is on a distinguished road

This maybe a dumb question but did you happen to put the cam bolt washers back on the bolts and not just any washers, as that is what pushes and pulls the arm out to get it aligned right. I just ask cause you did the lift and some people may loose parts or forget about putting them back in. lol

Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Starting Member

I put the original cam bolts and cams back in with the cams up, when that didn't work I tried a set of aftermarket cams and bolts still no help, I can get camber set perfect but caster on left is -3.8 degrees and right is 5.9 positive degrees, Called rough country they suggested reaming the holes in the frame, its almost like the frame is bent but if it was I would have had problems before the kit was installed, I'm at a loss unsure what to do now, love the lift but dangerous to drive ????????

Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

maybe the part that the cam pushes on is bent out from removing the uca's. measure the dist from the frame to the cam flange both sides. ur gonna have to remove the uca's to do this. or with them installed bend them back with a hammer a bit ans see if you can adjust the caster. also i dont want to insult you so please dont take this the wrong way but did you install the upper control arms on the right sides meaning left and right as this will throw ur caster angles out but keep camber in spec. just some food for thought, i had no issues when i aligned mine with this kit.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Starting Member

I bent the tabs on the control arm mounts to bring them in tighter to the cams today and it still didn't do anything, and yeah I thought I had the control arms on backwards so I did recheck that twice now to be sure, the bump stop goes to the rear, Been talking to Dave at rough country about this situation and we found a different set on bushings that are offset to help get more caster and camber, going to try to install them tomorrow if were not to busy,
and just so we all understand this is the first time anyone has had this issue it isn't something they have heard of yet, although with these arms installed it does come pretty close to maxing out your adjustment.
Hopefully the off set bushing will get me in spec, will let you all know when there installed

Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Starting Member

Problem solved!!!!
Took it to the local body shop to have the frame measured and all was in spec. thank god, they put it on their alignment machine and set everything to spec first try.

turn around and set it up on my machine again and found the caster is way out but everything else is good, so I put the bosses truck on the machine and found his is all in spec except the caster, So repair man has been called to repair the alignment machine

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, now I can finally get back to driving and enjoying my blazer

Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

glad to hear you got it solved, dont you just love new technology!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Starting Member

I should have lined it up with my measuring tape it would been a lot less of a headache

Last edited by Jase1979; 06-21-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling