Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Beginning Member
Walleye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel alignment

Do those danged old automated car washes, the ones with the rails the car is pulled through, knock a car out of alignment? My Blazer was perfect until I went through a couple of those things...

Old 02-22-2006, 02:38 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Wheel alignment

No, they're gentle compared to the forces and stress put on the front end when you pull out into the road and hit a pot hole.

If you approach one and can't avoid it, (pot hole) don't ride the brake into it. Slow down the best you can and just ride it out.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Walleye

Do those danged old automated car washes, the ones with the rails the car is pulled through, knock a car out of alignment? My Blazer was perfect until I went through a couple of those things...
They should not be able to affect your alignment unless your front end parts are worn and you just happen to cause the part to fail by hitting the guide rail....not the fault of the car wash....

Old 02-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Beginning Member
Walleye is an unknown quantity at this point

That makes sense. The track pulls the car down the line through the rails, and it occured to me that maybe that could warp out some adjustments.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:35 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

How old is this vehicle? Front end wear is normal and if alignment goes its due to 1. age, wear and tear.(if no modifications were done).

So, were any mods done on springs, raised, lowerred, etc.?? Any mods at all and youve caused the problem. Get under the front and back and look at the works very carefully. A sudden change in alignment happens due to a popthole or other sudden bang on the tie rod ends, unless you are getting into complete failures of parts like idler or pitman arm actually getting ready to break.

Be very carefull and raise car. Support on solid jack stand, not cheepy. You will be jerking on car, so it's got to be supported properly. Dont get under it, this is done from the outside of the wheel.

A ball joint goes bad suddenly sometimes but its easy enough to check out in the driveway. Best thing I can think of the tell someone that has never checked is to raise the car on jack stand on one side in front and simply attempt to shake the wheel top and bottom back and forth and then exactly sideways back and forth. Compare to other side. Pay attention to differences and noises. While it is up there, lube it. Yeah, no one does that anymore, I dont think. But parts that are lubed dont break real easy.

Using a good prybar will expose more problems but describing the process in writing is way too much fun. There are books available and web sites that can help from parts stores and such.