Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

another 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:31 PM
boater00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default another 4x4 problem

Hello I just bought a 2000 Blazer with the three button 4Wd [no auto]. I got stuck this morning in a small amount of snow-4 wheel drive switch on. When I got back I jacked up front end off truck and looked around a bit. With 2 WD switch lit the front driveshaft spinns free, with 4WD switch on I cant turn the front drive shaft. I can hear movement at the transfer case when I hit 2wd 0r 4Wd
switch. With 4wd egaged should I be able to spin the front wheels even though Im pretty sure transfer case is egaged. Thanks Jamie

Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: another 4x4 problem

Your problem sounds like it is in the engagement of the front axle. The actuator is located under the battery. When you put the truck in 4wd with the engine running, it should pull on the cable that runs to the front diff, engaging the passenger side axle inside.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks Kyle I removed battery I see that gismo that the shift cable is hooked to should there be a vacumm line or somthing else hooked to it? Thanks again Jamie

Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most definitely. The vacuum line runs from the actuator, back to the transfer case.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM

Kyle
crazy as it sounds there nothing hooked to thatactuator but the cable. I see vacuum lines [looks like three] on top off the transfer case but nothing any where near the actuator. I guess thats why the 4wd wont work. Any idea the routing of that vacuum line?
I cant understand where it could have gone too?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator

I have posted this before, but I could not locate the thread so I will attach it again.

NV231/NV233 Vacuum Diagram:

Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 AM

Kyle
I found the vacuum hoze hanging down up front. Im putting things back together today hopefully thats all that was wrong.
Thanks for all your help Jamie

Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Let us know if you have more questions as well as the outcome of your repairs! Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Hey Kyle
4Wd drive working great. Thanks for great info. Ps makes me wonder how long the folks I bought it from drove it with no 4wd!