Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

anti-lock engageing on dry pavement

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member
Dave43609 is on a distinguished road
Default anti-lock engageing on dry pavement

slowing up to a red light today ( on dry clean pavemet) as i depress the break peddal to slow down, it clicks/drops twice and then the anti-lock breakes engage. break fluid level is at normal, no wetness on back side of the tires, nothing dripping down the front of the vaccume booster or noticeable leaking lines.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

well i had this same problem when i originally bought my blaZeR2 and i have to say it was really annoying. I pulled the fuse until i took it to a shop to have it looked at. It turns out that i had a 07 full size truck Hub in mine....however it could also, be the computer...i would have it looked at by a dealer or shop

Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Wheel speed sensors can do weird stuff. When one out on my '05 silverado it was like applying the breaks without the engine running and then normal. Real scary at 60mph in heavy traffic and on a bridge no less.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

gonna ask the obvious question, are you running the original tire size?

i'm guessing yes, since your truck looks stock in your avatar.

have you had a chance to scan it?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Quik is on a distinguished road

its typical for this problem to happen with GMs poor design of abs. the wheel sensors see rust on the wheel cylinder so they do this under 5mph. pull fuse in the dash its a 10amp fuse and youll stop better then ever. however your cruise will not be enable as long as fuse is pulled. this is the cheap fix

new fix is a wheel cylinder which can cost a few hundred bucks

Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

even if you are running stock tires, are they mismatched. cause i picked up a free winter set so i have two different sets and i notice it more now with two different sets. there was a tsb on cleaning the wheel speed sensors also, kyle had it i know.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Quik
new fix is a wheel cylinder which can cost a few hundred bucks
where are you buying your parts from, the gold plating shop?

Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Quik is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
where are you buying your parts from, the gold plating shop?
that was refering to labor as well. since some ppl arent able to DIY they have to pay someone. Also a dealer part is going to be more money then a auto store replacement

Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Beginning Member
Dave43609 is on a distinguished road

i pulled the fuse for the time being, yes all the tires are the same.
i havent had the tires off to look and see what this job will consist of. i can do alot myself granted there is some stuff i wont be able to as well.
Thaanks all for the input, it has been verry helpfull

Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem, my ABS was activating just before I came to a stop - very annoying & a little scary when you're coming up behind another vehicle in heavy traffic too! Ended up pulling the fuse until I got round to doing something about it - as Quik says, you lose the cruise control but that's no big deal in the short term.
I tackled the job a couple days ago & it was suprisingly easy. Basically I had a build up of corrosion under & around the front ABS sensors which was affecting the air gap between the sensor & the toothed pulse ring in the hub - this sends a false reading to the ABS module which then treats things as if the wheels have already locked when in fact they are still turning. I removed the wheels, rotors & calipers, took out the sensors & thoroughly cleaned the mounting surfaces with emery paper. I then applied a thin layer of grease before remounting the sensors to try to keep future corrosion at bay. The whole job from start to finish took less than 2 hours & I now have perfect brakes again (well as perfect as Blazer brakes can be!). While everything is off it's a good time to give the front suspension & brakes a good check over too, I noticed a worn upper ball joint on the drivers side when I had everything apart so that's another job i've gotta do soon - explains the knocking i've had that side for a while when going over bumps.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: anti-lock engageing on dry pavement