Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ATC Fuse blowing

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Starting Member
DaveC is on a distinguished road
Default ATC Fuse blowing

Hello, I know there is a tonne of threads related to 4x4 issues but my problem seems to be different from everyone elses lol. My 4x4 works awesome (most of the time) my transfer case makes the 2wd to 4wd switch almost completely silently and instantly and i use it on a regular basis. however for the past about 3 weeks my ATC fuse has been blowing completely randomly. this first happened when i went for an offroading trip to kitchener ontario and i parked the truck on a very steep hill in 4X4 mode and let is sit there for about 25 mins. My truck's e brake is broken so it was sitting on park that whole time.
when i got back into the truck the lights for the 4x4 buttons were all out and i had the service 4wd light up but only for a few minutes. i replaced the fuse later that day and all was fine for about a week. the next time it blew i was driving in 2wd down the road when all of a sudden the service 4wd light comes on and all the lights in the buttons go out and again a couple of minutes later service light goes out. so i replaced fuse and once again all is well. however lately its been happening alot more often but it never happens when i am changing modes it happens randomly in every mode ( it has not ever happened in 4 lo but i dont use it very often)

some days ill change the fuse 3 or 4 times and sometimes it wont blow for 3 or 4 days.

i have checked the tccm and all connections look good and it always works and now i am at a loss and am starting to get frustrated with the randomness this issue occurs.

any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

The truck is a 2000 Jimmy 2 door with the 4 button auto transfer case

Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a problem with something grounding out or drawing too much current. I would check the TCCM and encoder motor connections for corrosion as this can cause the ATC fuse to blow. Corrosion could increase the resistance of the circuit causing it to draw more current, or it could bridge a power and ground together, shorting things out. This condition can be intermittent, but will eventually get worse.

This thread should help you in determining which contacts/wires do what:
NV236 Wiring Information

Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Starting Member
DaveC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Sounds like you have a problem with something grounding out or drawing too much current. I would check the TCCM and encoder motor connections for corrosion as this can cause the ATC fuse to blow. Corrosion could increase the resistance of the circuit causing it to draw more current, or it could bridge a power and ground together, shorting things out. This condition can be intermittent, but will eventually get worse.

This thread should help you in determining which contacts/wires do what:
NV236 Wiring Information
thanks alot.... and yes my condition has gotten worse yesterday we had a pretty good snow storm and i was trying to get into 4x4 but my fuse was already blown so i tried to replace it and now no matter what engine on or off the fuse blows the second it touches the fuse block. i will take a look at all the wiring but my tccm connectors are corrosion free it was the first thing i checked.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM
greene1564 is on a distinguished road

was this problem resolved, because my 2000 gmc jimmy is doing the exact same thing and I dont know any history on the vehicle just traded for it yesterday and I am starting to try to diagnose a few things.