Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Axle bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
walleyehunter is on a distinguished road
Default Axle bearing

I'll say thank you first, Thank you. My question is, last year i had the right rear axle bearing replaced, "repair bearing", well I beat the crap outta this truck, " it is used for ice fishing. Well the bearing went out again. Can I buy a "axle stub" off of ebay to fix this problem. the problem is my mechanic says the axle is that far gone that he won't guarantee putting another repair bearing in it. And he says he's looked for a replacement axle in town with no luck. Is he blowing smoke up my but? Or actually meaning a whole rear end. It is a 1995 s10 blazer 4x4. Trying to get ready for the ICE. Thanks for any feed back!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 AM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

why not just go to the junkyard and get another complete rearend

Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

my first question is....why are you burning through bearings so quick? i just replaced the factory ones after 158000mi and they looked fine....

Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 PM
DesertStorm is on a distinguished road

you should just be able to replace the axle and then install new bearings into the existing housing. what happens is when there is too much play in the bearing the axle moves around inside and gets a groove cut in it. the repair bearing is a good fix, just depending on the wear on the axle and how much play it had

this is what my axle looked like when i replaced my bearing with a repair bearing. it just moves the bearing out to ride closer to the studs outside of the groove.

if the repair bearing fails then yes, you will need to replace the axle shaft, not the axle housing

Attached Thumbnails Axle bearing-img_5698-small-.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM
walleyehunter is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies. The why's first.I bought this truck with a bad axle bearing, and had a repair bearing put in as a cheap fix to get me on the ice. The repair shop told me it was just a band aid and I was fine with that, I got thru ice fishing season . Second I am weighing my options right now on what is the most economical option to fix this problem, so a junk yard rear end is an option. But i will go with the cheaper option more than likely, this truck has 224,000 miles on it. I go into every ice fishing season completely prepared to have buy another truck to finish out the season. I live on lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. This lake is 7 miles wide, and 28 miles long and eats trucks for breakfast every year. The exhaust has been rerouted closer to the drive shaft and the muffler is hung where the spare tire should be so. This allowed me to be able to cut a 8" - 10" hole in the floor so i can drop a 2' piece of 8" pvc pipe to cover my ice fishing hole on the ice and the pipe blocks the wind on my fishing line and keeps the wind from blowing up into the truck. I removed the rear passinger seat as well as the front passinger seat and mounted a short pedistal boat seat. I can fish right inside my truck!!! Fishing a lake this size it is a must to stay mobile to be able to find a school of fish, and this is the fastest and most mobile way to fish. I can cut my hole and be in my truck fishing in under a minute and a half. This truck as no resale value anymore that is why for the cheap fix. I can construct just about anything, but I hate turning wrenches, so I have to consider labor when I consider repairs. thanks again.