Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

axle bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:50 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Just beware of cracks in bushings. Sometimes they are alot worse than you think.

I just replaced my lower control arm bushings and snapped a couple pictures to give you an idea of what im talking about.

The bushing here was junk and when i tried to drill the rubber out it just fell apart.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:34 AM
chevy77 is on a distinguished road

i cant see your pictures

i understand the cracks mean that the bushings are getting bad but i cant find any play in any of them so i don't think that's my problem

i was looking again and i'm not so sure the cv axle is making the noise either the axle seal is definitely leaking a little when i move the shaft but i don't think it can make that noise

Old 07-04-2017, 06:04 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I've seen bushings cracked like that and it was external only ....inside there was nothing wrong with the bushing...as a matter of fact , they look like that externally on most cars and trucks with 10 or more years on them.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
ferret13sj is on a distinguished road

Chevy77, did you ever resolve the question on the in/out play of the cv axle where it enters the differential? Don't want to hijack your thread but it came up on my search and I see nobody ever really answered that part of your post. I just replaced my right front cv axle and I have the same in/out play. The reason I noticed it is below.

Background: I replaced the axle due to a torn boot, but do remember feeling that play when I was checking for movement. Assumed it was in the cv joint itself and never looked close enough to see if it was actually where the shaft installs. My "new" reman axle has a shorter inner cv housing, and likewise a longer inner shaft, so there is about a 1/4" gap between the cv housing and differential. When I saw this gap, that's why I was checking the push/pull, thinking the clip had not fully seated. It seems the cv is definitely seated to the stub shaft, and it's the stub that's moving in and out. I have absolutely zero play on the driver side, original cv shaft.

So, did you find out if the play is normal on the passenger side? I'm concerned about something worn inside the front differential. Hoping to hear that you resolved it and that it's normal ��

Old 08-25-2017, 03:57 AM
Starting Member
Matthew is on a distinguished road
Default After replace axle bearing and seal caliper rubbing on rotor

I just started using this forum, sorry for my nub mistakes. Long story short, changed wheel bearing and seal driverside, bearing "exploded,fell apart" I changed again caliper is rubbing on rotor, no play in axle, please help, 2003 blazer LS 4x4

Old 08-28-2017, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Matthew
I just started using this forum, sorry for my nub mistakes. Long story short, changed wheel bearing and seal driverside, bearing "exploded,fell apart" I changed again caliper is rubbing on rotor, no play in axle, please help, 2003 blazer LS 4x4
Hi Matthew. You'd probably get more responses by starting your own new thread in the appropriate section (same section: Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain). Best not to hijack someone else's thread.