Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Axle Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My questions would be what has he been driving it on and how many miles a year does he drive it? A locker in the front is not a good thing to have without stronger front axles. They put a lot of stress on the relatively weak front axle shafts when offroading.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 AM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road

well i don't really know. I'm driving my blazer on a daily bases and i just that he does too. any way i found the Detroit locker in a very good price, now what i've got left to do is to find stronger shafts. i came to a decision that I'll try to work with this damn 10 bolt and see what happen, because after all I'm not the wildest driver around. i work very hard and i spend every cent on this car so when I'm off road I try not to do anything I'll regret later.
so the Detroit locker is on it's way now i need those shafts, any one knows a good website that sells those in a reasonable price? reinforced shafts of course.
plus - here in Israel diff lockers of all kind are pretty unusual, i would be able to sell the 10 bolt with the Detroit in a very good price if I'll ever decide to change the axke to a stronger one if I'll see that the 10 bolt isn't holding on as well as i thought it would.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should have 30 spline axles already. Yukon makes chrome-moly axles that are beefier than the originals. You should definitely look at getting a c-clip eliminator kit.

Your problem now is that the stock carrier will be quite stressed with that locker. The 10-bolt carrier would now be your weakest link.

Check Randy's Ring & Pinion to see if they ship internationally.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Starting Member

I'm sorry but when you say carrier you mean...?(in Hebrew we call each and every part differently, and "carrier" didn't got through i guess)
by the way i have 28 splines, i counted.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator

The carrier is the differential center section. What the ring gear bolts on and the spider gears go into.

My spec sheet calls out 30 spline front and rear for a 90 K5 which may be part of your problem. Sounds like someone has already swapped axles on the truck for the weaker version... You could have gone up to the 30 spline axles which are quite a bit stronger than the 28 spline axles. Now that you have ordered a 28 spline locker though, your options are limited. I do not believe that anyone makes stronger than stock 28 spline axles.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Starting Member

just my luck... well i browsed at ringpinion.com and i came to an understanding that I'm having trouble to identify my shafts. any tips how to do so? all i know is that it has 28 splines and 6 lugs. and another thing - the shafts on Randy's site are all reinforced right?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Yes, they are all improved models over stock, however, they are still made with the same short falls. A 28 spline axle is weak where the splines end. You can make it out of stronger metal, but the weak point is still there. I do not believe that they make the 4340 axles for the 28 spline diffs.

If you have any problem with ringpinion.com, you can email their tech support line and they should be able to help you out.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Starting Member

well.. today I've installed my new detroit locker for my old GM8.5" 10 bolt axle.
in addition I'll add reinforced shafts as soon as I'll get a chance.
so the process was relatively easy, it took me about half a dat including driving to a near by city to find new bearings.
maybe i was to proud and i sealed the diff' cover before i even drove the truck with the locker installed.
so - when i got on the road i could feel that the locker is working and i noticed it's working when i installed it, i saw the shafts moving together and etc'. but when i took the truck for a drive the locker was working but when i took my foot off the gas it started to make a VERY loud cranking noise, but when i applied the gas again the noise stopped, and so on and so on.
the noise sounds like when you're trying to put in to parking while the car is still rolling. by the way i didn't reset the pinion and the gear because i checked with some paint and the pattern looked fine to me.
any ideas before i set the blazer on fire and kill myself?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

The noise is typical for a locker while turning. It should not happen when you are driving down the road unless your tire size is off between the two tires on that axle (or air pressure is off). The noise is the locker ratcheting. When you put power to it, it locks up solid.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Starting Member

Now that you mention it, it think the left tire is less inflated than the right one. the size of course is the same.
but you really think that a small matter like this can cause such a dreadful noise? i mean - the noise is so loud, it sounds like two massive teeth going out at each other.

Last edited by yarinzim; 11-17-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Axle Opinion