Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Blazer ride qulity

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007 | 06:13 PM
phantom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer ride qulity

I have had my 1999 Blazer about a year now. I am not satisfied with ride quality it is terrible. Just going dow the back alley seems like none of the shock is being absorbed by the suspension feel every little bone jarring bumb inside the cab.

My Dad has a 2002 Ford Ranger 2wd 6cyl 5 spped manual.It puts the blazer to shame as faras ride quality goes the shockof bumps is being absored by the suspensionand one can hardley feelthem in the cab.

I put new Rancho 5000 shocks on it helped a bit. What else could a person do to the suspension on the Blazer to improve it besides switching to different shocks. I am on a budget do not really want to mess with lift kits unless it would fix the harsh ride.

I did not notice when I bought the Blazer that the rear leaf springs are bentdownwarda little at the front shackle. I do not know what this is from I looked at other blazers and the leaf is straight where it attaches to front shackle. Would this be some kind of modification or just some wild and crazy 4x4ing.What would the effects beof the rear leafs being bent down slightly at the front shackles do therearleafs needneed to be replaced because of the slight bend.

Thanks for any sugestions
1999 S10 Blazer LS 4.3L Vortec, 2door, W

Old 07-04-2007 | 10:31 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Blazer ride qulity

It should ride way better than the Ranger, Rangers ride rough by any stretch of the imagination. Something is wrong.

Is it lifted? If it was lifted by a T-bar crank in the front it will be a beast.

Old 07-05-2007 | 02:18 AM

I have only had it a year. I do not think it is lifted. It has stock tires. p235 75rx15.
Like I said it may have something to do with the rear leaf springs. They are bent downward where the leaf attaches to the front shackles. Both sides are bent downward about 6 inches of the the front of eachleaf starts to slope downward. This maybe killing the ride quality???

Old 07-05-2007 | 11:51 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

take a picture if you can a post it, this would help in analyzing the problem (both of the truck and of what you think is wrong). I know my rear leafs are flat coming out of the front leaf shackle.

-Lenny

Old 07-05-2007 | 08:13 PM

Sorry no pic. I have had a look at a few other blazers and the leafs are flat coming out of the front shackles so I think mine are not correct. What is a t bar crank.

The front end seems to sit higher than the back end. Guess I will have to put up with it till I have more cash to put into it I have already spent a lot on it.
thanks anyway for your reply.

Old 07-05-2007 | 10:48 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Well the front end being higher could be from either saging rear springs (which it sounds like) or it could be a T-bar crank in the front. What a T-bar crank is, is that the front suspension on a 4x4 use torsion bars to adjust ride height and not sure what else on the front suspension. A T-bar crank is where you increase the angle of the torsion bars therefore increasing the height of the front end. This also increases the angles on your CV and ball joints causing premature wear on these components if drvien daily. I am not sure what the stock front height is supposed to be but I could measure mine and post later. If you had a tbar crank and nothing done in the rear it might cause excess sag on the rear suspension. just some thoughts.

-Lenny

Old 07-06-2007 | 08:28 AM
Default RE: Blazer ride quality

got picture with cell phone but do not know where it is going afterconfirmation ofbeing uploaded .

[IMG]local://upfiles/6975/49556970795A4E1F9B78C874EE5E4EF8.jpg[/IMG]

*combining consecutive posts*

Oh there it is. Not very good picture.

*EDIT by swartlkk* Combined consecutive posts. Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thank you.

Old 07-06-2007 | 08:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer ride quality

I would inspect the springs for broken leafs. Those look like they are over arched in the wrong direction. That could account for some crappy ride if the back end is always hitting its bump stops.

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:34 AM

these might be better pics.

Old 07-06-2007 | 03:30 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

mine rode pretty good until i put my 20's on there. but thats my fault

Quick Reply: Blazer ride qulity