Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 PM
cain45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brakes

Anyone know the stock size rotor on a 2003 2WD Blazer? Anyone know if you can go with a larger size rotor and stay with stock 15" wheels?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Brakes

I don't know the actual size of the rotors, only the minimum thickness for discarding. It also makes a difference what brake system you have, your brake RPO is either JM3 or JC1

Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

With a stock 15 inch rim I would not suggest going to a bigger rotor, for one the caliper will rub and two the caliper will rub. My suggestion is to go to a bigger wheel for a bigger rotor, try going to a 17 inch wheel and tire combo and that will open up alot of bigger brake kits to step up to.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 AM

Ok thanks guys.

Any benefit to going to slotted/cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads? I want something that bites really hard.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had a set of cross-drilled rotors on my Bonneville that stress cracked as well as warped fast... I try to stay away from cross drilled. MANY of these rotors are drilled after the fact and can cause stress cracking of the rotor. This has gotten a lot better recently, but drilled rotors have very little benefit for street use. Slotted rotors however do have an effect. Not as much as an affect as going from normal stock replacement pads to ceramics though. Just remember to use quality rotors!

Whenever I do brake jobs, I use ceramic pads with plenty of anti-squeak on the backs of the pads. Ceramics will squeal a lot more than semi-metallics if you don't clean the mounting surfaces on the caliper and use some anti-squeak compound.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Well I am definately going with ceramic pads all around. swartlkkyou say just slotted are better? I will check out some slotted rotors then andforget aboutthe drilled.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Well I am definately going with ceramic pads all around. swartlkkyou say just slotted are better? I will check out some slotted rotors then andforget aboutthe drilled.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Due to my experience with them, I would not go with cross-drilled rotors. I actually thought that the brake feel was worse with cross-drilled rotors than regular rotors, all other things being equal. The powerslot rotors that replaced the ... crap. Can't remember what brand they were... Anyway, the powerslot rotors performed excellently, just had to go back to the original rotors while I waited for them to show up.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 AM

I was reading online and a site stated that ceramic isn't the way to go. THey stated to stay with semi carbon metallic pads. Any thoughts?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

In everything (10+ vehicles) that I have converted atleast the front to ceramic pads, there have been absolutely no problems associated with the pads. I tend to use Bendix or Raybestos pads.

As I said, the only down side could be increased brake squeal, but if you take the appropriate measures while doing the brake job, you shouldn't have a problem.

On side effect is greatly reduced brake dust!!

Quick Reply: Brakes