Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

can this be done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Beginning Member
dgreene00017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question can this be done?

I have a '00 blazer with the push button 4x4. I have always had trouble with this system. Have been wondering if it can be converted to a manual shift transfer case? I'm assuming that there would be a lot of work involved. I just have no idea where to begin looking for parts as I have no idea what is interchangeable. Mine is the 4 button with auto 4x4. I believe I read somewhere that they sell a cable that can be mounted inside the cab that you pull to manually lock in the front axle. If that is the case I would just need a shifter for the transfer case? or will I need an entirely different T-case?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anything can be done with time & money.

As far as how much of either is required, that depends on what transfer case you have now. The NV236 (4-button) transfer case really cannot be converted without replacement with an NV231 and associated programming changes in the PCM. But the NV233 (3-button) can with a little ingenuity.

Run a few creative searches (using the + to connect search terms together). A member just converted his NV233.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Beginning Member

so are the nv233 and nv236 interchangable? I know I have the 236. Just tired of chasing electrical problems if you know what I mean.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will likely have a 'Service 4wd' light on the dash if you were to switch (programming), but yes, they will interchange. You will want to get at the least the front driveshaft with the NV233. I think the rear is the same. You will also want to get the vacuum lines from the donor truck.

I would rather spend the time to fix the electrical problems than do all of the work to convert it.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member

thanks for the info, i really appreciate it. guess i have a little thinking to do.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Anything can be done with time & money.

As far as how much of either is required, that depends on what transfer case you have now. The NV236 (4-button) transfer case really cannot be converted without replacement with an NV231 and associated programming changes in the PCM. But the NV233 (3-button) can with a little ingenuity.

Run a few creative searches (using the + to connect search terms together). A member just converted his NV233.

what are the reasons the 236 couldn't/shouldn't be converted? Am I running the risk of damaging something mechanical?

Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

The NV236 transfer case has a viscous clutch that allows for varying torque to the front axle. The shift motor moves between the 2HI and 4HI positions to vary the torque. From the ones I have messed with, there were no detents for 2HI or 4HI on the shift sector shaft, just a smooth transition. After 4HI is neutral, then 4LO. There was a detent for 4LO, but none for neutral.

You could attempt to make detents to lock the transfer case in 2HI & 4HI. Or you could remove everything and see if your NV236 is different from the ones I have played with.

With the NV236, your PCM will complain about not being connected properly and things may not work out right when in 4LO. Also, you will need to do the posi-lock conversion on the front axle engagement because the NV236 TCCM also activated the solenoid on the firewall to engage the front axle unlike the NV233/NV231 systems which both have a mechanical vacuum switch on the transfer case to accomplish this task.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i always wondered if you could dump a 241 from a newer fullsize chevy into a s10 blazer. i was able to bolt a np208 right onto the 4l60 by just using the adapter from the fullsize truck. the 241 is just a drivers drop 208 and is a manual shift and should have a vss hook up also.