Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Can the front axle ABS ring be removed and reinstalled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015 | 06:02 PM
|
Beginning Member
damadtech is on a distinguished road
Question Can the front axle ABS ring be removed and reinstalled?

I've searched and search is not being my friend today and no luck so far after hours of reading. My 1993 K1500 4WD Blazer is getting a complete new front end due to 150K of wear and cracking boots, worn control arm bushings and a "crinkling" noise from the right front axle when turning. I have a line on some new in-the-box never installed axles the guy just wants to get rid of since his truck is totaled but they do not have the ABS ring on them as do my factory ones. They are the correct part number for my model without ABS but dimensions are identical in every way I measure. I was told by him (a Blazer freak kind of gearhead) and a few other friends the ring can be pulled from the old and installed on the new ones rather easily with a puller and press which I have already. Has anyone done this or know if it's really a doable thing. $50 for two axles is a great deal if I can do this that easily!! Thanks in advance for any ideas or experience with maybe changing/pulling one before.

Old 10-02-2015 | 10:10 PM
slimsummers is on a distinguished road

They are just pressed on, but they are real easy to snap. If you are careful and nothing snaps, it should work fine. The big question is how close to OEM spec the tone ring mounting journal is on the replacement axles.

Old 10-03-2015 | 12:47 AM
|
Beginning Member
damadtech is on a distinguished road

I'll have to check that exact measurement with a measuring stick but a quick check with the tape appeared to be the same. Thanks! I'll recheck that in the morning.