Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Changing Transfer case fluid.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road
Default Changing Transfer case fluid.

So I got 3 quarts of the auto trak II fluid for my 2001 blazer. I just got the 4wd working so I figured id do an fluid change on the differentials and the transfer case. When I opened the upper part which is used to fill up the transfer case, transfer case fluid (red colored) spewed out meaning there was extra fluid since the line is supposed to be under the hole opening. I closed it immediately but I want to change it soon and there is no way I can over fill it like it was. Will it be okay if I fill it up until it runs out of the opening?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the transfer case was over the fill port, then the input seal on the transfer case is bad, allowing transmission fluid to push into the transfer case. The level inside the transfer case only needs to be to the bottom of the fill port. Any more than that and it is over full.

I assume you have the 4-button 4wd switch (NV236) since you stated that you purchased Autotrak 2 fluid. The 3-button system (NV233) uses standard ATF rather than the more expensive Autotrak 2.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM
Starting Member

And Im guessing changing it is labor intensive?

Well I guess ill drive like this for a week or two and open it up again see if I get more fluid leaking out of there.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member
natem504 is on a distinguished road
Default Same thing has happened to me

This same thing has happen to my blazer. After a lot of research i finally figured out where all my trans fluid was going. The inner seal goes bad and the trans fluid leaks into to transfer case. If you do not want to replace inner seal make sure you drain the transfer case to the normal level. If not the vacuum system can suck up the fluid causing major problems. It is very labor intensive the whole transfer case must be dropped to change seal.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Starting Member

Well I just figured that I had this problem. And what kind of "major problems" does it cause when sucked up by the vacuum system? When my 4wd wasn't functioning my mechanic said he had to replace cables because it wasn't disengaging due to "debris" so maybe it was caused by the fluid in there

Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Beginning Member
natem504 is on a distinguished road

If the vacuum system does suck up fluid into the system it could get into components of the vacuum system such as HVAC actuators and other components that use engine vacuum. I'm not sure if fluid could of caused the problem you are referring to. If you do not want to replace the seal just keep an eye on your trans. fluid level and check to make sure the transfer is not overfilled a great deal every 6 months or so.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member
Patton is on a distinguished road

Just changed my transfer case fluid, fluid did come out the fill hole but not sure if you hat was because the front wheels were up on ramps? Took it off ramps to refill I see no easy way to fill it back up ended up routing a 4' piece of hose from the fill hole to out from under the truck to about half way up the drivers side door, poured the fluid into the hose and let gravity do its thing. Seems to be a controversial topic but I did use royal purple synchromax instead of autotrak 2..

Old 03-29-2016, 09:05 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by natem504
fluid level and check to make sure the transfer is not overfilled a great deal every 6 months or so.
IMO if its a daily driver or even driven on occasion for a distance keep better track of the transfer case level also the level in the transmission, It will overfill faster than you think, I use reaper for running to town 10 miles round trip and maybe too the next town over 50 miles round trip and when my seal was out she was way over filled every 150 to 200 miles

Last edited by odat; 03-29-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Starting Member

I checked 8 months after the fluid change and when I opened the top plug only a drop or two came out.. I am not sure why there was a build up there in the first place bit I think the seal is working fine

Old 03-30-2016, 03:39 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bolbol
I checked 8 months after the fluid change and when I opened the top plug only a drop or two came out.. I am not sure why there was a build up there in the first place bit I think the seal is working fine
It's hard telling how it was filled before you opened it up to change fluid - I'm glad it's working as it should

I know that most of these posts were from months back I was just adding that so other people on the sight would be aware with a badly blow seal the Xfer case can fill up fast and needs to be checked often until seal is replaced so no further damage is done thu out the rest of the vehicle