Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Which is cheaper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Which is cheaper?

What trucks had the G80 with 3.73s or 4.10s? Bravada?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pros/Cons

Bump for new question.

What are the pros/cons of welding my spider gears in place to create a locker? Increased tire wear? Has anybody seen or done this before? Any reliability issues with the welds breaking?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Pros/Cons

I thought there was another thread on this a little while back..I can't remember what was decided.

I suggested just getting a mini-spool. Much cheaper and guraunteed not to pop a weld and destroy the rear axle. Althought I imagine a non-differential-ed rear end would give a bit of a hopping feeling as the inside tire wraps on itself and the outside drags.

Pretty terrible for a road vehicle that likes parking lots

Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 PM
BF Veteran

Powertrax locker, anything more cost effective than that out there? How can I find out if I have 26 or 28 splines?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The only thing I see cheaper is the Detroit E-Z locker. Jigg's got it on the Lockers and Gears page at Synergy Offroad. The only problem I see is he's got it listed for a 30 spline (probably ZR2?) and you're asking if you have 26 or 28

The Powertrax looks pretty good, but I stand by the junkyard G80

Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 PM
BF Veteran

$100 (with shipping) for a freshly pulled G80 sound good? 7.5" and 7.625" rears the same or not? If it came with 3.42's can I still put 3.08's in it?

If this is a viable option I may go this route and keep my 3.42's!

EDIT: Ah man I didn't realize the auction ended in an hour. Think I should hop on this or what? $100 is definitely do-able at this point in time, much better than $300+.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 AM
BF Veteran

It sounds pretty good..I just don't want you to drop 76 bucks or whatever on our combined guess work!!

And you should be able to put 3.08s on it, 'cause all that changes for that is the big ring gear and the pinion...nothing inside the locker right?

And if you miss this one, you should be able to contact the seller..it looks like he's sold a few of these . I might have to get myself one eventually

Edit: I am also slowly realizing I absolutely suck at ebay. I can't find anything. I tried to look at body lifts..got some stuff about home gyms [:@]...only found one carpart under G80..lol

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM
BF Veteran

Found this one, no guesswork involved: POWERTRAX.

7.625" rear? Check
28 spline count? Check
Cheap (as of now)? Check

I will be staying with 3.42's.

EDIT: Now I just need to worry about what else goes with it. If it drops into the carrier, will I need new bearings/races/etc. or is that only for a new ring/pinion?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 AM
BF Veteran

Oh good find. Also a bit more time for you to decide!

ANDDDD...67% stronger than titanium! I dunno though...I might hold out for a locker that was at least 68% stronger than titanium

Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Its a tuff decision but im siding with wolfpack on this holding out for a locker would be beneficial to you more if future plans are to do a big lift for offroad or in case of a increase in power its ready to go to handle it!!

Quick Reply: Which is cheaper?