Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Which Wheel Bearing is Out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Timid Soul is on a distinguished road
Default Which Wheel Bearing is Out?

Bravada All Wheel Drive. Sounds like bearing noise coming from driver's side wheel?? Turning to right stops the noise. I have read some posts that suggest that this would be the "right" wheel bearing. My ears tell me it's the "left". I cant really tell with the tire off, or outside of the vehicle. Secondly, how hard is this job? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

My truck isn't a bravada, but when my bearing went bad I thought it was the left side as well. Turned out it was the right side. So I just ended up replacing both sides.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you turn to the right, weight is transferred to the left wheel so your symptoms do indicate that the right wheel bearing is at fault. Does the noise get worse when you turn to the left?

Dave, what symptoms made you think it was on the left? Just the sound or changes in the sound depending on the direction of the turn?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question. What is the noise that wheel bearings make when they're going bad?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

my bearings are going out on the driver and passenger side and going straight down the road at any speed it sounds like i have 35" tires, a real high pitched whine sound that also gets worse if i turn left or right. if i jack the front wheels off the ground and spin them i also get a nasty grinding/metal on metal sound.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk

Dave, what symptoms made you think it was on the left? Just the sound or changes in the sound depending on the direction of the turn?
Sound and vibration coming from the left side. The sound was same regardless if I turned left or right. That's why i replaced both sides. But when I removed the left side it was fine, once I removed the right side and spun the bearing you can hear it grind. After replacing both of them the truck was quiet and drove smooth.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Timid Soul is on a distinguished road

This forum is terrific! Hard to believe all of the time and heart ache I have saved by posting or reading here. I am replacing both sides, but you are right, it is the right that was bad. The roar is like the guy said, bad or big tires. Keep up the great work and thanks, this thread did it's job.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
joespear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2wd bearing replaced

I did my drivers side a few years ago. So far, the only part failure on my blazer. Got the part at napa for 180.00, never had a problem since. And came with new abs sensor,which went bad when bearing was loose. Good quality from napa at 1/2 price from dealer and very easy to diy.