Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Clicking / Thumping from front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road
Default Clicking / Thumping from front end

Ive got an '00 jimmy 4x4. 120k miles

All of my ball joints (upper/lower both sides) were replaced recently. About a month after they were replaced I started to get a thumping noise when turning at low speed. The noise is intermittent.

I also get a click noise also occurs when i first hit the gas to accelerate from a stop but I'm pretty sure it is not brake related. This is also intermittent.

I double checked the ball joints and they seem fine, the wheel does not move "in or out" when i grab the top and bottom of the wheel (when the truck is jacked up).

I have a good amount of play in the steering wheel, so i was thinking it could be the pitman arm or tierod ends? Possibly control arm bushings? Just wondering if you guys have any diagnosis tips or have had any experience with similar symptoms

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Beginning Member
kmalysa is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it could possibly be one of the CV shafts. When they begin to go you will here it most on turns. Do the boots on both CV shafts look to be intact? Usually (But not always), a torn boot allows the grease packing to break down, leading to CV failure. Just a thought

Try going to a parking lot and do very tight right and left circles. A bad CV will go click, click, click, click, click...

Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toaks1
I also get a click noise also occurs when i first hit the gas to accelerate from a stop but I'm pretty sure it is not brake related. This is also intermittent.
Does this sound seem to be coming from the front end as well or more middle/back? This sounds like u-joint failure to me.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member
tom09 is on a distinguished road

check to make sure that the bolts on the ball joints are still tight, i have seen them come loose after being replaced and also check torsion bar mounts back by the cross member for the tranny that will give you a clunk and the noise can travel through

Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by kmalysa
Sounds like it could possibly be one of the CV shafts. When they begin to go you will here it most on turns. Do the boots on both CV shafts look to be intact? Usually (But not always), a torn boot allows the grease packing to break down, leading to CV failure. Just a thought

Try going to a parking lot and do very tight right and left circles. A bad CV will go click, click, click, click, click...
This is unlikely, the driver's side half shaft is about a month old and the passenger's looks like its in good shape.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by oisinirish
Does this sound seem to be coming from the front end as well or more middle/back? This sounds like u-joint failure to me.
it is definitely a front end noise, and I checked the drive shaft, it seems ok

Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
GrumpyM4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar problem here with a '99 4door 4WD.

Had a "thump" when I was backing up out of parking places. As soon as I turned the wheel all the way to the left, I would hear and feel a loud "thump" from the right front end. Did the same on the other side when turning the wheel all the way to the right.

I figured the ball joints were screwed and replaced all of them.

Problem went away for a day and then came back worse then ever. I checked, double checked and triple checked all the bolts, castle nuts, etc. and the ball joints are GTG.

It only happens in tight turns at lower speeds. sometimes with multiple smaller thumps, but just for a second and then no more. No click click click, or other noise really.

The CV boots are all GTG as well.

Anybody got any good ideas?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:32 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toaks1
it is definitely a front end noise, and I checked the drive shaft, it seems ok
Well then you should be able to see/feel movement in your carrier and pitman arms by manually moving the components. In my experience tie-rod ends are more difficult to diagnose as sometimes the movement can be undetectable. Control arm bushings? Could the adjusters be split?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

To the OP, the only clicking noise I know of coming from the front end is a CV joint on it's way out.

To Grump, sounds like your tbar bushings are worn out.