Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

clunking in front end

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member
tate456 is on a distinguished road
Default clunking in front end

Hi all im experiencing a clunking in my front drivers side suspension and am wondering whats common I recently did tie rods and pit man both sway bar end links and brand new shocks had the front end inspected by alignment shop before alignment obv and everything checked out ok I thought maybe my upper balljoints where failing but I found today that when I bounce the truck by hand on that corning that I can hear the noise outside of the vehichle any ideas as to that this may be I jacked it up supported the front end by the control arm and did the ball joint test and noticed no difference is there something else I may be overlooking ?
1996 blazer ls 4x4

Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by tate456
Hi all im experiencing a clunking in my front drivers side suspension and am wondering whats common I recently did tie rods and pit man both sway bar end links and brand new shocks had the front end inspected by alignment shop before alignment obv and everything checked out ok I thought maybe my upper balljoints where failing but I found today that when I bounce the truck by hand on that corning that I can hear the noise outside of the vehichle any ideas as to that this may be I jacked it up supported the front end by the control arm and did the ball joint test and noticed no difference is there something else I may be overlooking ?
1996 blazer ls 4x4
Noise happens when turning left, right, or both? What about when braking or going over a bump? If you have already ruled out the ball joints, check the control arm bushings. They may need to be replaced. Other than that, check the idler arm. You might try greasing the front end components and driving it for a little while to see if the ifs just needed to be greased.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Beginning Member
tate456 is on a distinguished road

Occurs when accelerating hard braking hard bumps and like I said I can bounce the truck with my hands and hear it

Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

i too have a noise in the front, im thinking it may be in my case a failing
front drive shaft CV, or possibly a failing axle CV, but not any clicking sounds like a common CV axle make when turning, my sound is like a clunk clunk sound, fast or slow dont matter, braking makes no difference

Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
scubacamper is on a distinguished road

The clunking in my '99 LS 4x4 happens when I turn to the left or right and it's only 1-3 clunks each time. Just noticed it today. Has my half-shaft gone bad?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Wihtout actualy looking at the vehicle we`re only throwing guesses out there.Control arm bushings.cvc shaft and the shaft between front differential to the back one.It could also be bad wheel bearings inside the hub.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:24 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

scubacamper, the clunk clunk in a turn is a tell tale sign, but just like 1sttimejimmy sayed, with out proper examination its only a educated guess

Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Tate any luck or info on your noise??

Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM
scubacamper is on a distinguished road

I've not done CV's on the Blazer yet - are they similar to those on a sedan?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

A little bit, make sure your not bottoming out do to torsion bar sag,don't forget the wheel bearings they do go bad too..

Quick Reply: clunking in front end