Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

clunking in front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 PM
misspriss is on a distinguished road

I have a 2000 Blazer 4x4 its also making noise. There are no clunk, clunk, clunks turning hard left or right. Mine makes the noise going down the road, sounds like a little metal to metal clanking with acceleration and or up and down motions while going down the road. Now that my undercarriage is no longer on the truck ... I believe it is the torsion bar. You can push down on the front bumper and hear it making the rubbing type sound. After its oil leaks are fixed I'm getting the front end work done . When you find out whats making the noise ... let me know. Good luck.

Last edited by misspriss; 03-22-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:34 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by misspriss
I have a 2000 Blazer 4x4 its also making noise. There are no clunk, clunk, clunks turning hard left or right. Mine makes the noise going down the road, sounds like a little metal to metal clanking with acceleration and or up and down motions while going down the road. Now that my undercarriage is no longer on the truck ... I believe it is the torsion bar. You can push down on the front bumper and hear it making the rubbing type sound. After its oil leaks are fixed I'm getting the front end work done . When you find out whats making the noise ... let me know. Good luck.

Yikes man changing torsion bar bushing is not going to be fun.If its anything like the old mopar suspension that had torsion bars I feel sorry for you and wouldn't want to do that job.It takes to strong people and a lot cussing and swearing and beer.Id almost be inclined to tell ya have a shop do the job for you.Or you can do one at a time give a rest then tackle the other side if both sides are worn.Good luck

Old 03-22-2014, 05:48 PM
misspriss is on a distinguished road
Default Torsion bar

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
Yikes man changing torsion bar bushing is not going to be fun.If its anything like the old mopar suspension that had torsion bars I feel sorry for you and wouldn't want to do that job.It takes to strong people and a lot cussing and swearing and beer.Id almost be inclined to tell ya have a shop do the job for you.Or you can do one at a time give a rest then tackle the other side if both sides are worn.Good luck
I had a friend look at it today and all he had to do was adjust it and so far that has seemed to fix the problem. I do have a tie rod that will be needing replaced soon as well. Actually, there is quite a bit of work to be done replacing bushings etc ... It had a bad oil leak and the transmission line was leaking and it soaked them all pretty good. Most are all ok for now but eventually I want to replace all of it so I don't have to worry about it.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
donny612 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue. A clunk on the driver's side that I hear and feel in the floorboard but I only get it while on a washboard type of road or series of small potholes, that kind of thing. I realize that this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one with a similar question.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Mine is going on three years and still not found the
Problem. ...im 99% sure its not suspension related.
only because I did a BDS 5" suspention lift and everything
Has been replaced...so im now looking into all possible
Sources of points of rattles.....

Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had a clunk that was driving me nuts after I changed the shocks on my old '00 Bravada. Turns out that the aftermarket shocks had a smaller bushing in them than the stock ones did. I had torqued the fasteners to spec, but that wasn't enough to pull the mounts in and tighten up on the bushings. I had to over torque them by quite a bit to draw things in.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:03 AM
bigjayxxy is on a distinguished road

My guess is a bad cv joint making the clunking sound.
Only reason i say that is i have the same problem and ive replaced everything else it could possibly be.
And mine too is on the drivers side front.
Everything is new except for the cv shafts...theyre next!

Old 10-19-2014, 07:45 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

check your body mounts especially the ones right behind the tires. I had a clunk I could hear and feel in the floor and that was it

Old 10-21-2014, 03:22 AM
Starting Member
jkyle187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default check this

DO Not jack vehicle up, this needs to be done while suspension is under a load. two person job, one turning the steering wheel hard left and right and the other under the vehicle(tight fit) looking for thing touching that should not be. 2 things to check, make sure the tie rod adjustment sleeve bolt and clamps are not touching the inner tire rim during a turn and make sure the tie rod adjustment sleeve bolt and clamps are not touching the sway bar bushing bolt during a turn....my fix was rotating the tie rod adjustment sleeve bolt and clamps away from rim and then cutting the end of the sway bar bushing bolt (if the bolt thread was pointed upward) and rotating the tie rod adjustment sleeve bolt and clamps so it wasn't touching during a turn.

Attached Thumbnails clunking in front end-sleeve.jpg  

Last edited by jkyle187; 10-21-2014 at 03:47 AM.