Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Control Arms and Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM
cjm98 is on a distinguished road
Default Control Arms and Rear End

Hi I have a 98 Blazer 4WD and I have new control arms that I am putting in, what is the best way to do this?

Also, my truck has an open rear diff and I was wondering how hard it would be to swap a G80 rear end in?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I recall just a week ago someone posted a how to for the upcontrol arms because he just did them ...I don't remember who but the search feature is sure to find it for you.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 AM
Groundunit is on a distinguished road

Be glad you're only replacing the upper control arms. The lowers are a pain in the ***. Ive replaced all of mine with pain, but here it is:
*read note at the bottom.

1. Loosen wheel lugs, Raise your blazer, and put on jack stands. Of course, remove the wheel and chock the rear wheels. if you would like to, remove the brake calipers for more room. Also, removing the shock can help.
2. Take note of the position of the camber bolts and control arms so you can at least get it close to where it was before. Also, make sure you put in the camber bolts exactly the way you took them out. Make sure you don't strip them either by banging on it with a hammer...
3. Remove the nut and bolt for the wheel hub wire and brake line. There is also another line that was under the ball joint bolt.
4. Remove cotter pin on the ball joint and loosen the nut with a wrench. use a pickle fork to bang out the ball joint.
5. Remove the camber bolts on the frame by loosening the nut, you may strip it out by removing it by the bolt.
6. Remove the control arm. You may need to bang it out.
7. Place new control arm in. For me it was not easy putting it in. I had to line it up and bang on the end of the control arm to wedge it in there.
8. Replace camber bolts, eyeing the position. Do not torque it yet; you will need the room to push it into the steering knuckle.
9. Replace the brake line and wheel hub in the correct position. *
10. Push the control arm down into the steering knuckle and tighten the new ball joint nut. Go home wth the nut and replace cotter pin.
11. Tighten the camber bolts. very tightly. manufactures specs.
12. If your ball joints are greaseable then attach the grease fitting.
13. Replace the shock.
14. Replace brake caliper.
15. Replace the rest.

* I don't know what kind of control arms you have, but mine had rivets on the ball joint so I couldn't attach one bracket for the wheel hub wire. I haven't had any problems, but you may want to find a solution if you are worried about it.

You may not need to remove the shock, but I've found that it gives a hell of a lot more room to work with.
I hope this helps!