Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

crooked steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM
ovchew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default crooked steering wheel

I have 2000 Jimmy 4wd with front end supension noise. Took to shop to get alignment and ask for them to check for causing the noise. Was Told to replace both sway bar links and idler arm. Idid both and still noise.

I then replaced the pitman arm. When i replaced the pitman my notch marks to lineup the arm to steering box was cover by dirt and oil. I replaced the pitman arm straight on steering gear that was keyed to go on 4 ways and chose the same way the arm pointed before removal.

I installed the steering box to frame, then connected pitman to relay arm, then the steering shaft toa locked steering wheel.

Some where in betweenMy steering wheel is now crooked!!!! ABOUT 90 DEGREES to the leftand the noise is still there. Steering Wheel was at 12 o' clock now at 9 o' clock.

How do I GET MY STEERING wheel straight. Did i put my pitman arm off a tooth even though it was keyed for 4 ways on the steering box shaft?What about my wheel shaft thatslideson only one way? Or can The shopfix it through an alignment???

Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: crooked steering wheel

what was the reason why ya took the steering box off the frame? With a puller it slides off..

Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 PM

no way to get to the pitman arm nut and then a puller with crossbar in theway. Book says to do it that way. Other threads say the same.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably put things back on out 90 degrees... That much is not something that can be fixed with an alignment...

Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Ithinkingof unhooking the steering shaft while attached to the steering box and turning by hand and reinstalling to steering wheel?