Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

cv axle - death by t-crank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009 | 08:26 PM
|
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

well, i hope i fair better than you did, only went 1.25" (adjusted)

so far so good,

of your list i have already replaced all those things minus the pitman arm.
the only thing related to t-crank was boot coming loose. other than that all is good.

i know everyone says this will wear your front, which i believe over time it will but at what rate?? i have not found a clear answer anywhere and granted every instance will be diff. but an average would be nice to know.

just a thought.

Old 10-16-2009 | 09:03 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

From what I've read, it depends on how worn your joints are to begin with. My brother did a crank to level his ZR2 (220,000 miles) to match the stock height and 5 minutes later he fried a CV. I lifted mine 2" so far so good.

Old 10-16-2009 | 09:18 PM
|
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i guess you could say my first reaction was a little much. after a second opinion i was set straight as to my real problem.
my joints are still good, the boots just slipped the slightest bit, and spun grease all over...no knocking, no squeals....all good. just crossing my fingers while holding my rabbits foot and four leaf clover

Last edited by warthogdriver; 10-16-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2009 | 08:46 PM
|
BF Veteran

ok, three days and 400 miles....all is good on the 4.5" clamp front...looks like a winner

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:00 PM
|
BF Veteran

ok, over a week and 700 miles still holding strong with 4.5" hose clamps

Old 12-13-2009 | 02:17 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you tell me if you clamped both ends and what kind of grease you used?
My driver side has about half a hand full of grease and my passanger very little and I would like to try to fix them theis friday over buying new cvs. I cranked my t bars an inch also.

Old 12-14-2009 | 01:13 PM
|
BF Veteran

for starters if boot is torn this will not work.

if just slipped off like mine, then this will do the trick.

i only attached clamps at top of upper boot. that was the only place i had a separation issue. as far as lube i just went to autozone and got a "lube pack"
was small like the size of a sandwich bag and yellow, was 1.99. i used one pack per axle.
the clamps were 2.00 i think.

i attached a pic for ya if that helps

the clamps will be tight on clearance but should work fine (min have 2,000 miles on them) double check and be sure.
also when putting on new clamps jack up the side you are working on till the cv axle is almost level, that will make pulling boot back to position a lot easier. also be sure to wipe it all down at the connection points for good tight connection.

any other questions let me know.

Attached Thumbnails cv axle - death by t-crank?-1129091006.jpg  

Last edited by warthogdriver; 12-14-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: info added
Old 12-14-2009 | 02:02 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Will I have to take the cv out in order to do this and if I have to will the front diff fluid come out when I pull the cvs?

Old 12-14-2009 | 04:31 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

This is death by torsion bar crank. The first and second picture are of my CV shaft that broke over the summer and the third is of my lift torsion key that broke only a few weeks after it had been professionally installed.

Attached Thumbnails cv axle - death by t-crank?-sany0276.jpg   cv axle - death by t-crank?-sany0277.jpg   cv axle - death by t-crank?-sany0279.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009 | 10:19 PM
mav06 is on a distinguished road

I believe you will have to pull the cvs out to repack them and also i planned on replacing the front diffrential fluid so i really didn't pay attention to if it came out. How long has it been since you have replaced the front diff fluid?

Matt

Quick Reply: cv axle - death by t-crank?