Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Cv axle problems again. Drivers side this time.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road
Default Cv axle problems again. Drivers side this time.

Last problem I was having was the passengers side re-man cv axles seemed alittle long and binding. After exchanging two... I got one that works. Now I have a new problem. Since it is getting cold outside in the mornings. I've noticed something on my front kinda makes my blazer hop up and down (doesn't make any noise). I got under and looked and my stupid drivers side cv axle has popped out of the diff. Not completely, but it's really loose. So I pop it out the rest of the way (with out taking anything else apart) to try and set it back in and get it to snap on the locking rings. Well.... the little stub axle inside the diff is stuck inside the cv axle. And it won't allow the cv axle to go all the way in. I'll pull a ball joint this weekend and try and take the cv axle out the right way. But, is the axle in the diff on the drivers side supposed to come out? I questioned the passengers side being stuck on my old cvaxle and everyone said it's a common thing. But I didn't know about the drivers side.
I have 215,000 miles on my blazer now. I hope somethings not broke this time, I'm really getting wore out on spending money and fixing this thing over and over. Tax time is tempting for a trade off. But I like my blazer.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

HaHa! You guys can call me an idiot... I pulled my drivers side apart completely tonight. And guess what? That wasn't a short stub shaft in the diff... It was the shaft on the cv axle itself. LOL! Anyways I found my problem. It appears that when I put the new cv axle in it never fully went in. I must not have noticed it. But the splines on the tip of the shaft, and the splines after the groove for the snap ring don't line up with each other. It's no wonder why it wouldn't go in, and was so loose. I'm exchanging it for another axle tomorrow. So for once.... it wasn't the blazer's fault