Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV joint replacement..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default CV joint replacement..?

ok today on a quick trip across the city,i noticed that my truck was still makin the noise that my dad told me a lil while ago was the cv joint on the pass side front...now i guess I'll have to replace it some time so whats involved w/ the replacement of a CV joint..thanx,as you can tell im a bit of a blazer/bravada newb, I've been into sport compacts b4 this so its a bit of a welcome change

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

go to the tech section (general tech) and you will be staring a list of DIY articles in the face. there is a pretty good write up with some pics in there

GL. i did it as a nOOb with supervision (a 4 post lift and air tools didn't hurt) and it wasn't too bad. you will need to move fast once you pop the old out and put the new in since you will bleed gear oil

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
go to the tech section (general tech) and you will be staring a list of DIY articles in the face. there is a pretty good write up with some pics in there

GL. i did it as a nOOb with supervision (a 4 post lift and air tools didn't hurt) and it wasn't too bad. you will need to move fast once you pop the old out and put the new in since you will bleed gear oil
i'll def check that out,i need a how too..and i got a garage,air tools and what ever i'll need but no lift..plain ol car jack and blocking for me lol but i may be able to enlist a friend who owns a blazer ZR2 and knows his ****..

Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran

a buddy that has done it wont hurt. hell for the price of a 6-er, you can get a LOT of help

with no lift you will be fine. Just be sure to toss her on jack stands you you dont end up chopped in half

you will need a 35mm or 36mm socket to get the *something* nut off so you can pull the hub (dont remember wtf it's called)

Old 01-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
a buddy that has done it wont hurt. hell for the price of a 6-er, you can get a LOT of help

with no lift you will be fine. Just be sure to toss her on jack stands you you dont end up chopped in half

you will need a 35mm or 36mm socket to get the *something* nut off so you can pull the hub (dont remember wtf it's called)
haha,yeah i def could get help that way..though i currently cant buy alcohol(3 more months till 21 damn it :/) but i do have a buddy who has done ALOT of work on cars and trucks that i could prolly get to help me out,and yeah ive got jack stands and alotta practice at blocking up a jacked up car(ive had to work on every car ive owned) so i will be avoiding the cut in half scenario,and ik what nut your talkin bout but i cant remember its name either..but ik o do have the size socket..my dads got a **** load of tools

Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran

good to go man. grab a few pics if you remember, and post up after wards on how it went

Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Beginning Member
jayfourn8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just yanked my passenger side CV last weekend. Let me know if you have any questions. The lift is a definite plus... I wouldnt have done it without.....unless you have heated floors in your garage. I live in Michigan