Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

diff service help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default diff service help!!!

Ok guys, i have a slit problem. i can't take the fill plug out. its not b/c i don't have the strength, its b/c its a different plug. the normal uses a 3/8ratchet to take off and it is caved in. on my truck, the fill plug faces out. as in it looks like the ratchet tit where you put your sockets on to. and ideas on how to get off?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: diff service help!!!

weird...

Pliers/Vicegrips?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Starting Member

tried, they are too big. its kinda making me made b/c i wanted this done today before i head off to atlanta. have any other ideas?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The pliers are too big?

Buy a normal fill plug and then drill this one out? Last resort

Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

8 point socket. Once you have a set, you will find all kinds of uses for them. Just measure the plug and make sure that it is in the set you buy.

From the sounds of it, someone used a plumbing plug on your diff...

Old 12-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Starting Member

i am trying to see if it is a 5/8 size so i can go get some square tubing and take it off that way. but yeah, thats a last resort(drilling). thanks for the help. have you seen fill plugs like that?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:20 PM
BF Veteran

Oh cause an 8-point makes a nice square...I like it. I would think the typical socket set has the 12-point ones that might work if you dont have the time for new tool shopping...although who doesnt like getting more tools...

I gotta get me an 8-point set though.. they look exciting

Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Starting Member

yeah, i have a few 8 points, but none are the right size. i've tried every trick i could think of except the drilling out part. i love new tools, its like having another b-day for me. anywayz, why does gm do this, tweak things here and there?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, I doubt that it was GM who put it there. Those types of plugs are not common in the automotive industry.

The problem with using a 12 point socket is the possibility of rounding off the plug. There is not enough edges to grip and most of the time, people way overtighten plugs such as this.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Starting Member

ok, so what are they common for? could it just be that my plug is inside out?

Quick Reply: diff service help!!!