Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Do I need a new front wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM
vegasorbust is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need a new front wheel bearing?

I have a 1999 Jimmy 4x4 with a sort of rattle coming from the front drivers side wheel. You don't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary when driving on a smooth surface, but any bumps in the road will trigger the sound. It almost sounds like the wheel or some suspension component is loose and wobbling. A

Had it checked out by a mechanic & they said the front end is good and tight except for the drivers side wheel bearing -- they said there was a little bit of play in there but it wasn't too bad. Could this play be causing my rattle over bumps (seems to make sense to me -- wheel play resulting in a rattling noise) or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
Leearchibald is on a distinguished road

definately not a wheel bearing but does sound like a loose brake caliper or dust shield.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 AM
turner_pahl is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem on my 98' Blazer. My first thought was the ball joints, so I replaced those today. Passenger side lower was totaly shot, drivers lower was pretty bad too. Both the uppers were still ok, but I swapped them anyway. My CV joints still felt tight. I got it all back together and took it for a test drive, still rattles! $#%&! All the bushings seemed good too. Let me know if you figure it out!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Starting Member
Z06South is on a distinguished road
Default Rattle

I had the same problem, and it drove me nuts. Replaced front sway bar bushings, and it went away.

Z06South

Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 AM

It's driving me nuts too so I've got an appointment to get it looked at on Monday -- I'll update here if they find anything.

Thanks,

Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 PM
BoxersRule is on a distinguished road
Default How to check for a bad wheel bearing

- Jack up the truck
- Grab the wheel at the 9 & 3 o'clock position
- Push & pull the wheel with your right & left hands, i.e. push with your left pull with your right several times - back & forth. If there is any play (and you will feel it) the bearing is shot.

Also, your door pins may be warn out! open the door and lift it up/down from the bottom corner - there should be no play. If there is play, the pins are shot. You local auto parts store will carry replacement pins and a door spring compressor. Have fun!

Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Default Mystery solved!

Well my rattling noise is gone and it only cost $45 to repair! It ended up being a loose shock absorber mount. The crazy part is that this is what I originally suspected as the cause. The first shop I took it to said it wasn't the mount but might be the wheel bearing. Second shop had no idea. Third time was a charm!

On that note, if anyone needs a good mechanic in the Fraser Valley area, drop me a line. I was very impressed with these guys overall.