Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Estimate price,Balljoint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Johnkoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estimate price,Balljoint replacement

What do you guys think it would cost to get my front lower balljoints replaced on average from a shop?I have a 96' 4x4 4 door

Old 10-20-2007, 11:41 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Estimate price,Balljoint replacement

probably about 100.00 bucks a side parts and labor maybe less maybe more i know a shop that charges that out here in az last time i checked they might have changed there price but thats just an estimate

Old 10-20-2007, 11:55 PM

Well i got the uppers replaced when one seperated while driving and it cost 290 for both uppers ,but that was from a shop that was closed becuz of high prices and not enough customers

Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Two shops I've been to have quoted around the same price for me for all four (upper and lower both sides) at around a 6 hour job at $55/hr (which is cheap) for about 350-400 in labor, plus cost of parts. The lowers were quoted as taking about an hour longer which I don't understand. They all need to be drilled/chiseled out to get the rivets off. Does it really take an extra hour to get the bottoms? I've read a lot on this forum that if you're going to replace the lowers, you might as well replace the uppers, too, while you have everything opened up already. If good quality balljoints weren't so dang expensive I'd have it done already. Though, pay a little now, or pay a lot later when your steering knuckle separates and rolls down the highway...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you will need an alignment when all is said and done so throw that in there as well.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 PM
BF Veteran

yea if you call around you can usually use everyone against everyone basically saying well these guys are charging this after you find out what they are charging and just have a price war between a few shops thats what i do when i don't have the tools necessary to do something myself which is rare but does happen i had a shop for a while out here that use to let me come in and use there equipment to do some repairs cause they were a small shop now there closed so i don't get the use of there lift anymore

Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 AM

Thats probably what i will do,ill just wait till monday then thiers like 6 differents shops in my town that i can call up on monday.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:21 AM
BF Veteran

let us know what you find out how much and if you had a fun price war lol

Old 10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Mapoftazifosho is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the process of replacing mine and I completely understand why some places charge an arm and a leg. It's a huge PITA. I have all the necessary air tools, but when it comes to a rust belt car with 80k miles on it...welll I've been cursing a lot!

I am not done yet and I am about 4 hours deep. At this point I have the new ball joints in, but we're only talking about the driver's side...

I wouldn't do them for a friend for $100...

Old 10-21-2007, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran

yea alot of places will charge alot and some will beat there prices thats why you call around and get prices then start a price war between them they want your money so they will do what it takes to get it just a piece of mind for you

Old 10-21-2007, 07:17 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I was quoted $750 for all 4 including parts plus an alignment. So I opted to do it myself, which is not the easiest job but it is doable, I think it came out to about $110 for all the parts.

Quick Reply: Estimate price,Balljoint replacement