Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Estimate price,Balljoint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Estimate price,Balljoint replacement

Was that including parts? I just sent mine in to get the lowers replaced and turns out the uppers were shot, too. I was originally planning on having all four replaced, but my wallet begged to differ. I asked the shop for Moogs and they were all installed yesterday. The damage?

$598.54 out the door. Something like $320ish in labor, $160 for lowers, $88 for uppers, and 35ish bones in tax. I'm waiting until next week for an alignment so my bank account can recover, but it's not pulling and drives straight so I should be ok for a short amount of time.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
TetanuSshot is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy ****e! did they lube it up before they stuck it in?! ^

Get yourself some: 10,12,13.19 & 36 mm sockets, 13,18&19mm wrenches, a BFH and BFP (big f*@#inghammer and prybar ), a pair of side cutters for the cotter pins and do it yourself. Its easy as hell, I'll walk you through it if need be. you'll save like $300 tthat you can buy a catback system with.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:58 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tetanus, I didn't realize I could save lots of money doing it myself. Johnkoch originally wanted to know how much it would be to replace lowers at a shop, not doing it by himself. Let's see how my bill compares to the other estimates provided in this thread:

ORIGINAL: thegr81
probably about 100.00 bucks a side parts and labor maybe less maybe more i know a shop that charges that out here in az last time i checked they might have changed there price but thats just an estimate
Ok, so far we have a reasonably vague $200 total for just lowers. Maybe less, maybe more.

ORIGINAL: Johnkoch
Well i got the uppers replaced when one seperated while driving and it cost 290 for both uppers ,but that was from a shop that was closed becuz of high prices and not enough customers
For uppers, John was originally quoted $63.86 more than I paid for Moogs.

yea if you call around you can usually use everyone against everyone basically saying well these guys are charging this after you find out what they are charging and just have a price war between a few shops...
Every shop I called quoted the same amount of time, so I went with the garage that had the lowest labor rate of $55/hr. My brother's company charges $78 an hour. I think I did ok...

ORIGINAL: Mapoftazifosho
...I am not done yet and I am about 4 hours deep. At this point I have the new ball joints in, but we're only talking about the driver's side...I wouldn't do them for a friend for $100...
Hmmm, 4 hours per side and a comment about not wanting to do it again if someone paid them.

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer
I was quoted $750 for all 4 including parts plus an alignment. So I opted to do it myself, which is not the easiest job but it is doable, I think it came out to about $110 for all the parts.
Looks like I saved $150 there. And I think $110 in parts for me would've been the auto store TRW's. I'm ok with spending $140 over the course of 80-100K miles for peace of mind knowing my front end has some of the best quality ball joints made.

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
I changed the driver's side on my Bravada by hand (no air or power tools) and it was a major pain. Called around the next day and was quoted $250 (including alignment) to complete the job on the passenger side. Needless to say, I jumped at that price! It wasn't worth my time to do it myself. I also think the new guy that quoted me that price didn't keep his job very long!
So it was a fluke that Kyle found a shop that would do one side for $185 (assuming a $65 average alignment). Interesting, wasn't worth his time. If someone as knowledgeable as Kyle with a wider selection of tools than myself didn't feel it was worth his time, how should I feel about it?

yea swartlkk that price by far would have gotten that guy fired i called around out here in az and got prices of 1000.00 for parts,labor and an alignment i was like yea i will do it myself when the time comes
Now the story changes. Instead of $100 per side, now its $1000 total. Unless the last time he checked was in 1989, I find it very hard to believe an $800 price hike. Maybe the original estimate was nothing more than a blind guess.

ORIGINAL: 95_4door
I had a shop just try to charge me $330 for one lower ball joint and an alignment... He said like 90 for the ball joint, 75 for the alignment, and 2 hours labor.
Here goes: 330-90(one ball joint)=240-75(alignment)=165/2(hrs. labor)=82.5/hr labor rate. So using that labor rate and my quoted times it would come out to be $473.55 in labor alone, plus $248 for Moogs. $764.85 out the door for a difference of $166.30. Didn't come out too bad on that one either.

[quote]

Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I went to 4 different places when I needed mine done and it was around $350 labor balljoints + an alignment that I also needed

Old 10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran

97Blazer, was that just for lowers or all four?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

just for the lower

Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let me add that I would have no problem doing these myself for a significant savings now. Difference being that I now have an air compressor, impact gun, impact hammer, torch, grinder, etc. Without these power(ed) tools, I spent WAY too much time replacing the one side myself. I know how much $$ my time is worth and it was much cheaper to have a shop do the other side.

And Tetanus... You may want to have a read through the rules of the forum.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Johnkoch is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok well i got them replaces this weekend along with the right side idler arm that was very loose, and it drives much better now,except for me having stock shocks with 150 thousand miles on it,but thats for later.Thanx for all of your help...