Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Feels like flat tire but tires are fine

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Beginning Member
dbleobarbie is on a distinguished road
Default Feels like flat tire but tires are fine

Hello Forum.. once again, I come to you for assistance.. sigh..

So, a little background. I recently had the wheel bearings and front end shocks replaced in my 2000 blazer. After my wheel bearings were replaced, I noticed my truck would shake really bad on the freeway if I got over 75mph. No problem, I figured Id just attempt to keep my speed under 75 (I kind of have a lead foot lol) and my husband and I chalked it up to the tires needing balanced and an alignment. As far as the alignment, my truck has always had it pretty bad, to the point where if I let go of the wheel, I make an immediate right turn. Also making me have to drive holding the steering wheel to the left in order to go straight.

Recently, my husband, in his little ford focus, tried to take on 16 inches of snow on the roads, and well, he got stuck. So I was forced to drive up the road and push him out with my truck. Ever since then, every time I drive, no matter what speed, my truck wobbles down the road. It seriously feels like my drivers side front tire is flat, even though the tires are all fine. My steering wheel also sways back and fourth (also like it would if I had a flat tire) Now, since I have that alignment problem, when I am on a road that requires me to move my steering wheel to the right, I can feel a clicking (I dont know how else to describe the feeling) it feels like something is broke in my steering wheel and "ticks" whenever the steering wheel is straightened out.

Now if anyone has been able to keep up with my explanations and not get confused, is there anyone who could possibly pin point what my problem may be? And if it is dangerous to drive without getting it fixed? (I cannot afford to fix anything else on this truck, I have owned it for 2 years and have put over 5 thousand dollars into it, now Im behind on my mortgage because of it, so no more fixing this thing)

Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member
iian is on a distinguished road

I was thinking maybe you knocked a weight off the rim causing to ride like that. But the clicking sound is probably something different.

Best bet, raise the front of the vehicle. Grab the wheel at 6-9 o clock and see if it wiggles. Also try from 12-6 o clock for the same.

Have your husband also move the steering wheel to look for something moving that shouldn't be.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Its prolly not wheel weights. New wheel bearimgs un masked the problem that was always there. I dont think Id drive til you do what Iian said. Also check the right side pitman aka idler arm. If we know weather you are 4wd or 2wd that would help.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member

I have 2W and 4WD, but my truck is currently stuck in 4WD. Something is also wrong with my 4WD, and if Im lucky enough to switch between them, whatever I switch to, Im pretty much stuck in for a while. And since its winter, and I live in Michigan, I thought it best to keep it in 4WD since I more than likely wouldnt be able to turn it on again.

And I was also once told before on this forum that my idle arm, or sway bar links are bad, because I stated in my other post that my truck is really bouncy and when I hit a bump or pothole, I hear a clunking sound.

Also, since I am stuck in 4WD, every time I make a sharp turn I hear clunking...

Hope thats enough info for you guys lol

Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
toyhauler1283 is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like being stuck in 4wd has caused premature failure of a front CV shaft or spyder gears inside the front differential. As for it pulling one way all the time I would think could be because of bad alignment

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Beginning Member

Yea, I was told by a friend that the cv shaft was more than likely the culprit of the clunking sound when I make a sharp turn, but could that be why it feels like Im driving with a flat tire all the time?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Driving on a firm surface (not slippery) in 4WD will destroy your front end components. Even though it gets stuck for awhile in 2WD or 4WD, leaving it in 4WD and driving on dry pavement will lead to other problems as you have experienced. For future reference, if you put it in 4WD and then can't get it out when the surface isn't slippery, it's a lot cheaper to call the tow truck and take it to wherever you can have the original culprit fixed.