Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Feels like it is waving in the wind(its not windy)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Meatball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feels like it is waving in the wind(its not windy)!!!

Question # 1
I have a 2002 s-10 blazer 4x4. It is in imaculate condition with 100,000 miles on it. I am the second owner and the first owner was an older woman. It has never been on a dirt rd let alone off roaded. My wife drives it daily and said shenoticed it was feeling a bit sloppy. So I took it in and they replaced the idler arm. It helped with the steering but now when I drive it above 65 mph it waves back in fourth like a real wind day. It only does it when I hit a bump or the road is uneven. It shakes from side to side so much that I have to make a point to stop my head from swaying. I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue? I had the mechanic check out all of the steering and front end for replacement needs and the idler arm is all he could come up with. I took it back again and he couldnt make it do what it does but he didnt drive it over 65. The did do an alignment, tire balance, and full diagnostic on the front end. The lady who owned it before me has given mea 2 inch stack of paper work for all her oil changes and maintenance. So I have great records on the vehicle. No issues of this in the past.

Question # 2
Like I said above thevehicle isimaculate. Why would I be only getting 14mpg. I didnt notice as my wife doesntdrive far but since I have beendriving it I have been gettinghorrible gas mileage. Nothappy at all. My old blazer got 18-20 and it had 200,000 miles on it. What could be the issue?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Feels like it is waving in the wind(its not windy)!!!

What about the shocks did the mechanic test the strength of the shocks? It kinda sounds like he didn't. Also check to make sure that the sway bar bushings front and rear are inspected as well for wear and tear, even though you said it looks emmaculate doesn't mean those aren't bad.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:46 AM
yazan84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a similar problem ... it's not the shocks because I replaced mine back in Feb and it didn't change anything. You might want to check your lower ball joints. I'm having mine changed on Wed... I'll let you know

Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member
Clay_Assassin is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine was pretty bad. Needed new lower ball joints and a new steering gear.

Did the ball joints last week.It drives better already. Not a bad job, just a headache. Will do the steering gear in the next week or so.