Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Follow up on accident. Pictures of right suspension damages

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:02 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Follow up on accident. Pictures of right suspension damages

Sorry for poor pictures. I took them in the parking lot tonight at work.
Today, after 2+ months after hitting a gutter drain and 180ing into another curb, I decided to bring the truck home for a while. Both rims and tires on the right side were destroyed, so I replaced all 4 rims/tires for the hell of it. Then found out the frame and rear axle was bent. Had the bent rear axle rod replaced this week along with repairing the frame (to it's best ability). However, the right wheel is facing out slightly and I found a few very obvious problems today.

This is my left wheel which sustained no damages. The wheel is turned all the way to the left and the tension rod? goes over the sway bar end link without a problem.

When the right wheel (which took a lot of damage) is turned all the way to the right, the tension rod contacts with the sway bar end link.

The sway bar is also bent as you can see.

Here you can see how the steering radius is increased and seems to never stop until the tire hits the wheel well.
The truck also pulls slightly to he right when you let go of the steering wheel. Steering feels the same until I hit a bump or a hill and it makes a quick rub noise.

Any further info on these damages or damages I haven't noticed is much appreciated.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Put in image tags displaying the automatic thumbnail and linking to the full res image.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Follow up on accident. Pictures of right suspension damages

Can you get a better shot of the front linkage, without the skid plate on? It looks like it just jammed the sway bar up through the tie rod...throwing everything off. If the tie rod/pitman/idler arms get bent up, you'll really throw off your steering...possibly allowing farther than normal steering. Or you could have just really bent up the control arms, which would give the same results (but pulling the sway bar and tie rod, instead of pushing).

Id be interested to see a picture looking at the front, from ground level, with no skid plate...that should show everything were needing to see

Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only clear damage that I can see is that the sway bar mount is torn loose. This has likely dropped the sway bar down to where it is able to be hit by the steering linkage. You most likely also have bent the lower control arm. Hopefully it has not damaged the frame mount positions for the control arms. I would grab a junkyard lower control arm and swap it in, repair the damage to the sway bar mount, then evaluate any further damage. Maybe snap some pictures while you have the suspension disassembled...

BTW, I put your pictures in so that they can be viewable, but not really load down your photobucket bandwidth.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 PM

Yeah thanks for getting the images onto the thread. I was trying to resize the images to basically the same size but when I posted the thread they ended up being gigantic. I haven't had much time to unscrew the skid plate but looking through it the sway bar doesn't seem bent. The mount just snapped off of the frame which isn't surprising due to such a small weld.

These are 2 more I snapped today with better light. It just better shows the idler arms.

Here the idler arm looks fine

But here you can see the idler arm is against the frame.

I'm changing both upper and lower right hand control arms, holding it makes a difference.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like your lower arm is cracked just outside the lower shock mount.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Whats the gelatinous red stuff on the control arm? Do you use strawberry jelly for joint grease?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 PM

I just noticed that crack looking thing by the shock mount, but it seems to be on both lower control arms. On the left hand control arm you can get a better look at it. It seems to be the way it was made.

And yes, sugar free actually. Lol, I dunno. I dropped it off at a mechanic so he can take it apart on the lift and when he put it back together he greased everything up. Looking at it last night I thought it was blood or something.

Is this rod that goes over the sway bar my tension rod? I'm fairly new to steering/suspensions.