Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front diff noise making a turn in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Front diff noise making a turn in 4x4

Hello,

99 Blazer 4 door 4x4 3 button (stock, no lift)

When the front diff is engaged in 4x4, and you turn the wheel almost to lock the front diff is thumping and feels like you are going over rocks of some sort. We verified that its not coming from the transfer case, but the diff itself.

We saw metal shavings in the fluid?? My thinking is if there is something wrong in the diff, wouldn't I hear/feel it in 2wd as well? It does feel like its binding up, and when you disengage 2wd and go in reverse to unlock the diff it goes away, but it def does not sound like its coming from the transfer case.

They are calling for snow tomorrow, so I want to take it out in the street and try it again where the front is able to slip and see if I get the same reaction.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front diff noise making a turn in 4x4

4WD is not meant for a tight turning radius. You WILL have some binding when you are at or close to full lock because the drive wheels are spinning at the same speed. In a turn one wheel has to spin faster otherwise you would be going straight, right?

You should not have to go in reverse to unlock the front differential.

Do you hear noises in 4WD while going straight?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: TripleBlackBlazer

4WD is not meant for a tight turning radius. You WILL have some binding when you are at or close to full lock because the drive wheels are spinning at the same speed. In a turn one wheel has to spin faster otherwise you would be going straight, right?

You should not have to go in reverse to unlock the front differential.

Do you hear noises in 4WD while going straight?
Hello, thank you for the quick reply!

The noise goes away once going straight, I was under the impression that the binding would be more from the transfer case then the diff? If not, I would be happy that its just a normal 4x4 operation as I have read previously on the board.

What do you think about the metal shavings in the gear fluid in the diff?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Gary...you do have to go in reverse at least 1/4 turn of the axle to get it fully unlocked. Could just be the slight roll backwards after you come to a stop...but it does have to go in reverse.

bammontana: the binding will be in your transfer case ultimately, but it starts out in the front axle. If you continue to push it through the bind, youll end up torquing something out in the case (if the front axle doesnt give). You probably have shavings in the diff from driving through the binding a few too many times, or it could just be wear and tear from mileage (dont know what youre mileage is).

So unless you have some other convincing evidence, Id say youve just got the normal 4x4 front axle bind. Stay away from sharp turns, or keep it out of 4x4 unless youre wheels can slip!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Gary...you do have to go in reverse at least 1/4 turn of the axle to get it fully unlocked. Could just be the slight roll backwards after you come to a stop...but it does have to go in reverse.

bammontana: the binding will be in your transfer case ultimately, but it starts out in the front axle. If you continue to push it through the bind, youll end up torquing something out in the case (if the front axle doesnt give). You probably have shavings in the diff from driving through the binding a few too many times, or it could just be wear and tear from mileage (dont know what youre mileage is).

So unless you have some other convincing evidence, Id say youve just got the normal 4x4 front axle bind. Stay away from sharp turns, or keep it out of 4x4 unless youre wheels can slip!
Hey WolkPack, first off love your truck. Saw other pictures when you put those nice tires on, very nice!

So if the binding has not effected the transfer case, I should be okay as of right now? The truck as around 140 thos miles on it, and tell you the truth I don't know what the previous owner did as far as keep up. I want to drop the gear fluid tn and replace it with new fluid, since I don't know how much fluid is in there.

If the truck was driving through the bindings that much, do you think I might be on my way of replacing a part or two in the diff? I heard that the bearings do go in these trucks.

I will stay away from sharp turns, and hopefully we get some snow tomorrow so I can take her out!

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Thanks

I would think youre fine. From what youre saying, it sounds completely normal. If it was forced while bound up, I think the first part to fail would be the joint between the passenger side axle shafts. But like I said...sounds normal to me. Speaking of which...I need to do my front axle service...hrmmm...

Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

What about shifting on the fly?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
BF Veteran

Usually they will disengage fully on the fly, but if youre at slow speed, sometimes they dont, and they do need the reverse movement to disengage.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Starting Member

WolfPack, ya rock dude.

We got some good snow yesterday, and with the snow I got some use out of the 4x4 - worked great! No noise, no vibration, etc. worked awesome.

The real test is getting up my fiancee's driveway. Its on such a radical angle that only her father and my toyota pickup 4x4 can make it up. Well add the Blazer to that list! Now I am happy

I surprised the truck with a little "Feel Better" gift of a BDS 2 inch body lift, teehee.