Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Cast iron diff, questions and making IFS better

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Beginning Member
p_m_clean is on a distinguished road

I have done some searching on this forum and some other sites and think its probably worth the extra cash to get the cast iron diff. there are some on e-bay for about 750 shipped

my plan is to swap in the cast iron diff with the new rough country 2.5 along with all new ball joints tie rods ect.

Im looking for something that will be reliable when the snow comes around and also be up for some light wheeling for the next 3-5 years until I get out of school and start cutting my baby up into a crawler / mud buggie

my questions are, does anyone think it would be a good or bad idea to cut up a bran new 750$$$ diff to use the rough country lift (it is kinda scary)
is the cast iron really that much stronger, (comming from a guy who has broken 2 aluminum cases in my old blazer)
any other suggestions I know there isnt a ton of options out there but has anyone thought of a custom bolt on brace or carriage that makes everything stronger

I am an engineer student almost done with school and im sure there is some way to build something, just dont have the cash or tools to do so yet

1990 s10 blazer 4.3 4x4 5 speed
build march 1990 the year and month I was born, shes a keeper

1983-1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Differential Rebuild Kit - Timken DRK320A - Front

also has anyone installed a rebuild kit like this. I might rebuild what I have and see how long it holds up

thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
lloydk is on a distinguished road

did'nt 5-speeds come with a cast iron?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member
p_m_clean is on a distinguished road

Not all of them mine is a 1990 I think they started making them a few years later. Im a idiot and havent actually checked to see what I got. Im fairly set on just rebuilding what I have cast iron or not, just need to find someone that has done a re-build so they can tell me how it goes or if its do-able.

anyone install the timeken kit in my first post or something like it. I have taken one of these diffs apart and put on back together. my biggest concern is setting up the gears and shims and what not, can I just open my case pull my diff out leave the pinion in then change the given parts and put it all back together or does it require measurements and shimms and all the stuff I can trust myself to do?

thanks

Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
lloydk is on a distinguished road

hav'nt done one myself, but here is a link-http://www.jb4x4.com/tech_lockright.htm, appears you use the original shims

Last edited by lloydk; 01-27-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

About the only place they are found are in 5 speed zr2s, even then not all had them.

I done the swap and wish I would had saved my money for a sfa. I found my diff in a junk yard and only gave $100 for it. Could have just got a yj dana 30 for the same price. Wish I would have went that route from the start instead of wasting time and money on the ifs.