Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front drive train issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Woodmaster is on a distinguished road
Default Front drive train issue

2000 blazer with 110,000 miles. Has now developed a growl that increases in proportion to road speed. The sound does not change when I pull steering wheel in either direction. I don't detect any bearing slop while doing the 6/12 O'Clock test. The CV boots are fine but I do hear the snapping/popping sound while running drive train while on jack stands. This is with wheels off and suspension completely extended creating sharp angles for the joints. Right wheel bearing has about 15,000 miles on it. I'ld prefer not to throw new parts at good parts in the name of troubleshooting as I did with a starting issue. (About grand and it wound up being the starter switch!) All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the noise go away if you engage either of the 4wd modes (4HI or 4LO)? It is possible for your front axle to be partially engaged which can cause this noise. This thread may help: 4wd Front Axle Clicking When in 2HI - Goes Away when in 4HI/4LO

Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Default Front drive Train Issue

The noise is the same in 2x as 4x. I replaced left CV shaft that had been clicking lightly while on jack stands and hub as long as I had in apart. No more clicking but still significant growl starting as about 30 MPH. My wife seems to feel the noise is coming from the right side. I AM now leaning towards the right hub as the growl did seem to be a bit louder while jerking the wheel to the left during my last test drive. I did replace this hub a couple of years ago with an EBay special...... Went with premium this time on the left and will use the same on the right if it comes down to another hub. Oh ya, add another $130 for ball joints as I tore the boots during dis-assembly. Is there a practical way to split these besides a pickle fork? These were fairly new ball joints. Thanks

Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Still might be worth checking out the front axle engagement. If the spring is broken and/or a frozen cable, it could cause a vibration/clicking noise.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Issue resolved. As soon as I removed the right rotor I knew it was the hub. Apparently just not worn enough yet to display any lateral movement and the brakes rubbing on rotor hid the rough feel. So now I have an entirely updated front end using premium parts as the parts store calls them and can sit back and wait for the next issue to arise. (We know there will be more when dealing with S-10's). I did manage to salvage the right side ball joints by putting a little pressure on the upper control arm and whacking the knuckle with a pounder. Thanks for the heads-up on the axle engagement deal. Now do I go with an OEM power window switch or ..............?